Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1947 USAF - service cap info

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been trying to pin down for some time exactly when the 'scramble eggs' showed up on service caps in the USAAF/USAF. The only officer in WWII to wear any such thing was Gen. Douglas MacArthur. His cap was actually Philippine Army. The hat the Gen. Dreedle (Orson Welles) wore in 'Catch-22' was a complete work of fiction.

Here is the story I have obtained regarding what the USAF calls "Farts & Darts" on officers caps:

"The USAF scrambled eggs are referred to fondly as "farts and darts" (lightning bolts and clouds). They were regulation from the very beginning of the USAF and the adoption of the blue uniform. Three farts and darts for general rank flag officers and two for colonels only at first. USAF Chief of Staff General Vandenburg was the first to wear the blue uniform and with the farts and darts. General Spaatz was the first Chief of Staff but they were still wearing the US Army uniform and were in transition. He never wore the blue. USAF was established in 1947 but the blue uniform did not makes its debut until mid 1949. One can find caps dated back to that year with the farts and darts."

Attached is a photo of one of the first "F&D's" worn by a "brown shoe" who transitioned in to the newly formed USAF - General Arthur Thomas

GenArthurThomasUSAF1953-sml-.jpg

Still wearing a WWII 12th USAAF patch on his left shoulder.

-dixon cannon

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Although I long ago , alas, disposed of it from my collection, I used to have an officer's Flight Ace chocolate elastique service cap with double straps on it - but the visor and straps were black leather.
I wonder if it was some sort of transitional USAAF/USAF cap ?

cco23i

A-List Customer
The gold insignia was from 48 or 49 if I remember correcly and the blue uniforms really didn't get out to the masses until 50 or 51 if I remember correctly.

Scott

Dixon Cannon

It would be nice to see some color photos of the 'new blues' from that period. It was a strange period in U.S. military history; creating a brand new branch of service from an existing one. There must have been several weird variations from one uniform to the other until everyone got on board with Air Force blue.

-dixon 'brown shoe' cannon

Dixon Cannon

cco23i said:
The gold insignia was from 48 or 49 if I remember correcly and the blue uniforms really didn't get out to the masses until 50 or 51 if I remember correctly.
Scott

Here is a curious anomoly: Not a regulation US Air Force cap. Gold on blue service dress was never authorized anytime in the history of the US Air Force. After close examination, one can tell this cap does not come close to adopted USAF specifications. The company that made this cap did not exist until 1974. Probably made for a local or state air force military academy.

[insert photo here]

Also, prior to 1959, there are no regulations that say the buttons are to be changed to gold on the blue service dress uniform outer garment (overcoat) when used with formal evening dress. However, there are regulations which say the blue service dress cap (with silver embroidery, insignia and trim) is to be worn when the outer garments (blue service dress overcoat and raincoat) are used with formal evening dress. The colors remain blue and silver, never blue and gold. The formal evening dress uniform with gold military characteristic and buttons never had any blue service dress uniform item change its trim to gold. The only item that changed to gold was the black or blue-black dress cap specifically made to be worn with the formal evening dress uniform prior to 1959. The cap with gold trim for senior officers was to be worn only when the black or blue-black cape was worn as the outer garment. There are no regulations that allow gold buttons to be used on blue USAF service dress items. Gold on blue service dress is a myth.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
I've been trying to pin down for some time exactly when the 'scramble eggs' showed up on service caps in the USAAF/USAF. The only officer in WWII to wear any such thing was Gen. Douglas MacArthur. His cap was actually Philippine Army. The hat the Gen. Dreedle (Orson Welles) wore in 'Catch-22' was a complete work of fiction.

Here is the story I have obtained regarding what the USAF calls "Farts & Darts" on officers caps:

"The USAF scrambled eggs are referred to fondly as "farts and darts" (lightning bolts and clouds). They were regulation from the very beginning of the USAF and the adoption of the blue uniform. Three farts and darts for general rank flag officers and two for colonels only at first. USAF Chief of Staff General Vandenburg was the first to wear the blue uniform and with the farts and darts. General Spaatz was the first Chief of Staff but they were still wearing the US Army uniform and were in transition. He never wore the blue. USAF was established in 1947 but the blue uniform did not makes its debut until mid 1949. One can find caps dated back to that year with the farts and darts."

Attached is a photo of one of the first "F&D's" worn by a "brown shoe" who transitioned in to the newly formed USAF - General Arthur Thomas

-dixon cannon
That's sparks, farts, and darts--lightning bolts, clouds, and arrows. MacArthur's cap was not Filipino Army, it was one of his own design as Marshal of the Philippines. He designed it himself, and it was hand made (including hand sewn) by a Filipino woman. No disrespect.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face

-dixon cannon
Also, the Air Force was the first to use braid (what ever you call that, I forgot) on the cap bills in '47. The Army followed sometime later, I don't know when exactly, but in all the photos I've seen during the Korean War, I haven't seen one Army officer wearing it, so it must have been after '53.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
Although I long ago , alas, disposed of it from my collection, I used to have an officer's Flight Ace chocolate elastique service cap with double straps on it - but the visor and straps were black leather.
No. Between '47 and '51 (I believe) Air Force personal could wear either the Army uniform with brown leather, or the new Air Force blue uniform with black leather. There was no mixing and matching of uniforms like you're thinking of. A green cap with black leather would be post Korean War.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face

-dixon cannon
Sorry, the blue Air Force uniform dates to '49, not '47. There was a grace period until June of '52.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
Sorry, that should be from '49 to '52.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
I've got a blue 84 wool cap dated 1950 with a gold cap insignia on it, I assume that is very transitional.
No. The Air Force never allowed a gold Army cap device on a blue Air Force cap. There was a grace period from '49 to '52, but it was one uniform or the other, not mix and match. Whoever sold the cap probably just put a gold device on it.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face

Scott
The gold cap device was used by the Air Force until '49, but just because the uniform was still the same as the Army's. When the blue uniforms were issued beginning in '49, the devices, as well as bottoms and everything else, were silver. By June of '52, all airmen were required to wear the blue uniform.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
It would be nice to see some color photos of the 'new blues' from that period. It was a strange period in U.S. military history; creating a brand new branch of service from an existing one. There must have been several weird variations from one uniform to the other until everyone got on board with Air Force blue.

There were no weird variations. Until '49, the Air Force uniforms were the same as the Army's. In '49 a whole new uniform was designed. There was no mixing and matching of uniforms, other than the new silver and blue stripes were allowed on the older green uniforms, until '52 when all Airmen were required to wear the new blue uniform.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
A year or so back there was a cap on eBay that was allegedly an early USAF cap. It was blue-gray with brown leather visor and straps.
I've never seen anything like that before.
That's not a US Air Force cap. They have always used black leather. There are some very bizarre things on EBay. Usually the one selling it doesn't even know what he has. One problem is that everybody is looking for WWII Army Air Force "crushers," instead of WWII Army service caps. WWII AAF caps and uniforms were just Army uniforms. It confuses the sellers.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
Actually, there were some of the leftover brown visors used on transitional AF hats.

Scott
No offense, but I highly doubt that. There was no such thing as a "transitional" Air Force uniform. The USAF designed the blue uniform in 1949. Before that, from '47 to '49, the uniforms were just Army uniforms. When the blue uniform was designed in '49 it used black leather for bills, belts, and shoes. Besides, they didn't have to use Army leftovers, there was plenty of money for new stuff. I'd love to see some authentic color photos of these caps.

TPD166

One Too Many
I agree MacArthur's "Philippine Field Marshal" hat in khaki was his idea. U.S. Army General Officers did not wear any visor or braid ornamentation on the OD/brown or khaki uniform caps until the 1950s when the modern green uniform was adopted. However, they did have "scrambled eggs" and oak leaf braid on their dress blue and dress white uniform caps starting with (at least) the 1902 design - and it appears that MacArthur took his design from the Army GO dress caps.

At some point, following the design of the Army's GO cap braid ornamentation, the USAF expanded the "farts and darts" (officially the "thundercloud and dart" design) to the cap braid for the Chief of Staff - here is GEN Hoyt Vandenberg wearing the USAF CoS cap.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
I agree MacArthur's "Philippine Field Marshal" hat in khaki was his idea. U.S. Army General Officers did not wear any visor or braid ornamentation on the OD/brown or khaki uniform caps until the 1950s when the modern green uniform was adopted. However, they did have "scrambled eggs" and oak leaf braid on their dress blue and dress white uniform caps starting with (at least) the 1902 design - and it appears that MacArthur took his design from the Army GO dress caps.

At some point, following the design of the Army's GO cap braid ornamentation, the USAF expanded the "farts and darts" (officially the "thundercloud and dart" design) to the cap braid for the Chief of Staff - here is GEN Hoyt Vandenberg wearing the USAF CoS cap.
That's "sparks, farts, and darts"--lightning bolts, clouds, and arrows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW