Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's? Harris Tweed sport coat with belt

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A perfect European sportscoat...

SAM_2561.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did a Fedora Lounger buy this? For how much did it go? (not sure if you can see this on etsy after it was sold)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations. It's a great jacket and good color/fabric. The subtle green flecks are nice and the fittend waist / wide shoulders work well too.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The description mentions "Jarwen Petterson". So probably the name of the Scandinavian tailor.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Also, different Harris Tweed labels were used in the U.S. than in the U.K./Europe. I know Baron Kurtz has mentioned that the use of the label with U.K. copyright dates was pretty fast and loose.

What was the age of this coat?

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Also, different Harris Tweed labels were used in the U.S. than in the U.K./Europe. I know Baron Kurtz has mentioned that the use of the label with U.K. copyright dates was pretty fast and loose.

What was the age of this coat?

Baron told me my Harris Tweed was WWII era, it had the 1937 Copyright date.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
As I understand it, with Harris Tweed labels, you can's always go by the copyright number because labels with the '37 copyright were often used after they'd been superseded by ones with the latter copyright date. This can be the case with ACWA tags too, but it seems to be more common with the HT labels.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
As I understand it, with Harris Tweed labels, you can's always go by the copyright number because labels with the '37 copyright were often used after they'd been superseded by ones with the latter copyright date. This can be the case with ACWA tags too, but it seems to be more common with the HT labels.

Here's the jacket for reference
CIMG0132-2.jpg

CIMG0135-2.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Only the US companies used a copyright dated Harris Tweed label. Such labels do not exist outside US manufacture.

The trademark number on the U.K. label ties to a date in the U.K. database of registered trademarks. If I'm not mistaken, this number changed over time on the U.K. labels due to trademark renewal.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
...ah, interesting. Harris Tweed was registered in the U.K. as a trademark in 1909 and the renewal date isn't until 2017. There are other miscellaneous filings with the Intellectual Property Office from the 1990s and early 2000s too.

U.S. trademarks are renewed more frequently than that.

The Trade Mark is for the Orb and the restricted use of the term "Harris Tweed". Because of the ridiculous historic US stance on Copyright, to be protected in the US a Copyright had to be lodged there as well as in the country of origin. This is opposed to the more rational stance of every other country in the world (and, since 2011, the USA), for whom a single filing in the country of origin was sufficient to secure worldwide protection. This probably explains the need to register as a patent in the US the rights that were granted to the restricted use of Harris Tweed everywhere else.

The classic example of this US fudge is the Cuban cigar industry, in which Dominican et al. manufacturers have ripped off the Trade Marks and Copyrights of countless Cuban cigar companies in order to sell in the US market. These cigars are unavailable anywhere outside US territory because they breach international law on intellectual property protection.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari