Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Housewife illustrations

Gigi

New in Town
Okay ladies, I'm in desperate need of some images of 1950s housewives, particularly smiley, cheesy illustrations. I need them for a project I'm doing and I used to have a collection (seeing as I want to be one). It's become darn near impossible for me to find any good images of the sort, but I know they're out there. Please help if you can. Thanks.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Have you tried looking for old magazines like Woman's Day and Ladies Home Journal? I bet they would have some.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Just illustrations, or photos too? I came up with these:
wifeDM1904_468x550.jpg

http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/original/50shousewife.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Styles evolved a lot during the decade. The above lady is probably about 1953 or earlier, from her clothes, the sink and the tiled walls. I would suggest focusing on the 1955 to 57 period to get a really "pure" 50's look. Those were the classic Chevy years, and a lot of other stuff, too.

leaette

A-List Customer
omg! i love that picture of the lady at the sink. i want her sink!

look on ebay. there are many sellers who sell old ads seperately. i have a small collection of WW2 era ones that I get off ebay.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Research 1950s advertisements too as they predominately feature a very pleased looking housewife with a hoover/iron/fridge etc! You can find images online, in books (the Taschen series on advertising springs to mind), calenders etc aswell as original adverts on Ebay if you want the real deal.

Decodence

A-List Customer
This is actually a hoax/spoof as indicated by snopes, but the image should work for you.

The%20good%20wife's%20guide.jpg

I have a framed copy in my home ;)

leaette

A-List Customer
i printed out copies of that for my sister's bridal shower and put one at each seat. the ladies at the shower had a good laugh.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ha! Leaette I did the same for my sil's shower. I rolled them up and put those fake rings around each one. I didn't tell anyone what they were, and later I made everyone turn them over so they could not read them. The one who could remember the most got a prize. It was fun!
Nikki
leaette said:
i printed out copies of that for my sister's bridal shower and put one at each seat. the ladies at the shower had a good laugh.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Are you sure that the "Good wifes guide" is fake? I think I read almost the exact same article in a Norwegian copy of "the House Wifes Encyclopedia" from the 50s.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Says "undetermined". While I know the ad photo is used from something else, I would not be surprised if the test itself was true. I have other vintage books that lean to the same kind of ideas.

Even my 40's sewing book says to always have your makeup and hair done while you're sewing, lol...for you don't want to open the door and look a mess!
Nikki

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Says "undetermined". While I know the ad photo is used from something else, I would not be surprised if the test itself was true. I have other vintage books that lean to the same kind of ideas.

Even my 40's sewing book says to always have your makeup and hair done while you're sewing, lol...for you don't want to open the door and look a mess!
Nikki

I'm surprised a sewing book would have that. It sounds like how my mom used to be until she didn't care anymore. :) I think she passed this thinking onto me. I know that my friend who is part of a certain religion looks at the ad as a guide for how she should be for her husband. It's not like she has to do any of it, but it's a guideline to help her. It does seem like a nice guide for some who are somewhat into that ideology already. I heard it was fake also, but then who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner