Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Housewife illustrations

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Argh, this is just the kind of thing that is going to bug me for days! If only I could find the book I think I read this in. But sadly, it wasn't mine and I don't know where it is.

Foofoogal

Banned
I had older parents who were married for 46 yrs. when my mom passed away. Both passed in the 1980s.
My mom must of read this as she did this every day of my life and also made homemade bread or rolls every day. I have such fond memories of my mom smelling so good at about 3:00 in the afternoon after her daily bath as my dad was fixing to come home from work.
I find it so interesting that people don't really believe life was really like that in the 1950s. Maybe not in the cities but surely in the rural areas.
Simpler when people had expected roles to fulfill and fulfilled them.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Were women (mothers/ housewives) very social or was it social gatherings every now and then? I find it hard to be social with others when there's so much I have to get done. I can't imagine how hard it must've been for mothers of the 50's.

Foofoogal

Banned
RBD. Are you asking me this?

It does take alot of time to run a home properly. This is why socials were such a big deal.
We live in such a faced paced society now with many more trappings to take our time. I am not saying of course that families did not differ and like now some are social and some or not.
Church gatherings, ladies garden clubs, bridge, etc. though were a time for ladies to outdo each other in elegance. Why we have linens, silver, tea items, you name it. Place cards, bridge pads matching the linens etc.
Everything and I mean everything was ironed. I knew ladies who ironed sheets and undies.
Do I do all of these things:No.
Do I wish I did: probably yes.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
RBD. Are you asking me this?

It does take alot of time to run a home properly. This is why socials were such a big deal.
We live in such a faced paced society now with many more trappings to take our time. I am not saying of course that families did not differ and like now some are social and some or not.
Church gatherings, ladies garden clubs, bridge, etc. though were a time for ladies to outdo each other in elegance. Why we have linens, silver, tea items, you name it. Place cards, bridge pads matching the linens etc.
Everything and I mean everything was ironed. I knew ladies who ironed sheets and undies.
Do I do all of these things:No.
Do I wish I did: probably yes.

I started a thread on the subject to get some responses and not change the subject on this thread too much.

Thank you foofoogal

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget that a larger percentage of people lived in smaller or medium sized towns. You could walk to the corner for groceries, kids walked to school, etc. You could walk down the street to talk to a neighbor. Now a lot of suburbs are built without sidewalks, and you're considered subversive if you try to walk down the street! You have to use your car, which puts you in a 2 ton steel box, to go anywhere today. People used to have easy direct access to each other, and socializing was MUCh easier and more normal and natural. Chatting over the "back fence" was a regular part of life.
Also, traveling around town was easier because of the vast street car system. For a nickel you could go anywhere. You could literally go from Maine to Kansas City straight through on the trolley in 1920.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I'm a big fan of the Harford Frock fashion templates. Apparently these were used much like a tupperware party would be done. A sales person would come to your house, sit down w/ the drawings and take orders from the catalog. The women would get to see the fabric and then they'd get to alter the dress slightly to their specifications. (Hence the red pencil used in the final drawing)

I saw these on ebay a while back and have been looking to get my hands on some since. (If anyone knows where I can find them- I'd be much appreciative!!)

56-1.jpg
58.jpg
57.jpg
59.jpg
60.jpg

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I saw them on ebay but I didn't win the auction :mad:
I've had my eye out for more ever since. I especially love them because they come w/ a swatch of the fabric used in the making of that dress. I want those swatches!! That way I can find more of something w/ a similar weight/ feel/ look to make modern repros from!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner