Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1954 Mercedes Gull-Wing 300SL

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
One of the Smothers Brothers used to write a column for Road and Track (I think it was). In the late 1960s, he suggested that anyone who wanted to make some money should buy a bunch of Gullwings and put them in storage. In those days, they went for a couple thousand dollars each, maybe five thousand.

Rathdown

Practically Family
1968 I bought a 1960 300SL roadster for $3,800 and passed on a 1955 "gullwing" at $4,750. Gold was pegged in those days at $35 an ounce, and if I had bought 100 ounces of gold it would be worth approximately $150,000 today. That said, I think the car on ebay is a tad high, but then auctions are really all about two dogs scrapping over a bone, so who knows?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You haven't missed your chance to buy a Mercedes sport model cheap. The SL 2 seater convertible series ran from 1972 to 1989 with various 6 cylinder and V8 versions. Very well built, you can buy a good one for the price of a Hyundai. Keep it for nice days, maintain it by the book and it will last you for life. About the last car built with a real engine, real chrome, real leather, and real steel.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Fast House & Airplane

I just realized, for the buy it now price, I could buy the fancy house I pass by a lot in one of our best neighbor hoods, and a modified Yak 11 with a Pratt & Whitney R2000, that would be three times as fast!

p51

One Too Many
I saw over a dozen gullwings grouped together at the grand opening of the Lemay Car Museum in Tacoma in June, couldn't get them all in one shot!
LemayMuseumOpening002.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
For that money I could have a really nice '54 Corvette with a multi-carb'd GMC 302 and a three-speed manual gearbox professionally installed.

What are Jag XK120s going for at the moment?

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I do the same thing regarding money and where to spend it.
That said, gold now vs., antiques or a car at its peak?
Gold/silver is always going to be a quick easy dump when prices reach 1800+ a ounce.
Love the cars but, metals are always the best way to dump ones investmets.

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
A really nice XK120 will cruise in at the $90k mark, with older restored examples punching above their weight at around $125k; at the end of the day it's all about condition, both cosmetic and mechanical. A car with only average cosmetics but spot on mechanically would probably fetch something in the region of $65k in today's market. Interestingly, $125k will buy you a dead nuts great XK120, XK140, XK150, or XK-E (E-type for you purists reading this).

p51

One Too Many
They're a pain getting in and out of......
A lot of high-end cars are, too. A guy I went to high school made a fortune on the commodities market very early on and he bought a Lamborghini Countach, and my WW2 Jeep is far more comfortable to ride. There's no AC, no roll down windows, and the door handle is a length of hemp rope! It goes fast and looks good on the outside, THOSE are the only good qualities of a car like that, but you'd never know if you never got into the driver's seat and took it for a spin (got this car wound up to over 150 along "Aliigator Alley" outside of Miami).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic