Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1961 Sewing Machine Singer 503A "Rocketeer"

fishmeok

Vendor
I'm thinning out my collection...
1961 Singer 503A Slant-O-Matic, called the "Rocketeer" for it's groovy design. This is a gear driven aluminum machine, with the needle slanted forward to make the work easier to see. Runs single or double needle, with built in bobbin holders and single needle spool holder. Uses standard needles and class 15 bobbins. Feed dog height is adjusted with a lever on the front. Fully adjustable zig-zag and stitch length with reverse. Uses Singer Fashion Cams for different stitch patterns. Included are the original manual, box of attachments with fashion cams, and a Singer "stretch" presser foot and fashion cam for use with elastics. Runs great, oiled and cleaned. The motor is a little louder then my other Singers, but I took it apart and cleaned it and found no problems.
$145 + $40 shipping in the US (It takes me half an hour to pack machines, I pack them correctly in 200 lb gear pump boxes).

I'm located in Minneapolis, local pick-up encouraged...
Cheers
Mark

DSCN3854.jpg

DSCN3853.jpg

DSCN3856.jpg

DSCN3857.jpg

DSCN3859.jpg

DSCN3863.jpg

DSCN3865.jpg

DSCN3870.jpg

DSCN3875.jpg

DSCN3858.jpg

Ande1964

Practically Family
Wow!

I've never sewn with a machine in my life, but that machine is so awesome it almost makes me want to try!

Anj

59Lark

Practically Family
singer slant o matic 503 a

Made in the early 1960s , was the second down from the top, the next one up was the 500a, it was automatic with built in stitches, had two levers and by combining them, such as b L, YOU obtained certain built in stitches, worm drive gear direct drive, The curvy shape was very futuristic for its time, have at least three in my cemetry of 200 machines, the top tension unit on your example has been replaced with a later plastic tension unit, the original was metal and copper coloured. Made in singer anderson sc factory. that was the a stands for, k meant kilbowie cylbank scotland and j meant st jeans quebec in canada. M was monza italy etc. This was the cheaper version to do different stitches you have to change the design cams, the bakelite black discs to do different designs. Appears to be pretty good conditon. The buttonholer that came with that machine also came in curvy box, was surprised to see this on this forum since i live in sewing machine shop and i live and breath old singer machine and have done this trade for 26 years. 59 Lark:eek:fftopic:

fishmeok

Vendor
By top tension unit do you mean the single needle spool holder that goes on the outside?

Check out my thread (or the one I tried to start, kind of went nowhere:) ) on collecting sewing machines over in the display case. I like the slant needles, but I use my Singer 78-3 and Necchi BU the most so I have to thin things down. The 500 series are getting more collectable these days, I have seen them go as high as $180 on OFAS recently, but I won't get that much, I refuse to lie and list it as an "industrial heavy duty machine that sews LEATHER" etc.

BTW, do you have any parts for a Pfaff 130? I need a 3 pin cord and the tensionser knob and disk assembly.
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner