Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1972 Star Sportswear G1 Jacket Size 48

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seasons Greetings Gentlemen,

Have just about managed to get some photos after shaking off the side effects of too much Christmas pud! May need to go up a jacket size for the next few weeks.

I'm very impressed with the Star Sportswear G1, love the close fit, worn patina and contrast between the collar and hide (does it look like goatskin?). This G1 is quite light weight and shrugged off some fairly heavy rain yesterday. The black label is quite worn...I just about make this out as a 1972 model, collar appears to be mouton....could this be a replacement given the year?

It's great to be back in a G1 again (my first ever flight jacket). I sold on a Cirrus repro some years back because there was something not quite right & it didn't get much wear. Same with my ELC M-422A.

I have done a bit of reading up about G1's now and hope to add another to the wardrobe soon, I maybe interested if someone has a 48 they wouldn't mind moving on.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,310
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,015
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 696

Plumbline

One Too Many
Nice .. awesome collar colour ... I much prefer the rust mouton or the pale ( bleached) mouton on the G-1 to the dark Mouton. I suspect the original came with dark brown and at 1972 may have been synthetic ( I'm no expert on the G-1 but have seen similar star models from the 70's with synthetic collar) ! Knits look like they could be replacements also as they are in great nick.

Goatskin looks nice and soft and supple.

Great jacket ... :)

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
I corresponded with the seller about this jacket. after comparing measurements to Roger Moore's site, I believe this to be a size 46. it is very difficult to see the label, maybe easier in person. this doesn't matter much, as long as the jacket fits you and you are happy (it sounds like you are). bob

Deacon211

One Too Many
Nice one BN! Love that collar!

What didn't ya like about the Eastman? The only things I find curious about the Eastmans are the initial stiffness and that it's fairly thin compared to the late model issue jackets I've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I corresponded with the seller about this jacket. after comparing measurements to Roger Moore's site, I believe this to be a size 46. it is very difficult to see the label, maybe easier in person. this doesn't matter much, as long as the jacket fits you and you are happy (it sounds like you are). bob

That would make sense. I also communicated with the seller about the size of this jacket the first time he listed it. He was really unclear about the measurements. I think I mentioned to bn1966 that I thought the measurements that the seller gave me were a little short for a size 48, but then I do own a size 48 E series that is shorter than another size 48 by the same maker. Go figure.

bn1966

Thanks for the comments Gentlemen & fantastic photos Atticus (much appreciated).

The jacket does appear to be sized as a 48 (appears to my eye to be a faded 48, easier with the jacket in your hands than from a photo) however measurements could easily be those of a 46 looking at 'moorecustom'. Would have liked a little more across the shoulders (coming in at 20" is that usual for a 48? I would have expected a little more E.G 21"). Length and body width are perfect for me giving a trim tailored look. Jackets seen a lot of wear since arrival though the weather is now more N-3A than G1.

The Eastman Size 46 M-422A is now on eBay Deacon. I've only worn it a handful of times and did wonder why? I've had lots of positive comments about the Star Sportswear G1 in the short time I've owned it, I prefer the cut and drape, hide grain and collar. On reflection: The ELC M-422A has never felt 'quite right' on. Shoulders are big, I don't like the cut of the sleeves & the fit around the chest could be better...observations have been made by others that it looks 'tight' & unflattering in comparison with the G1. It spends it's time hidden away in my wardrobe and needs to be worn & enjoyed by someone...thus time to part with it. It's the only ELC jacket that I haven't worn to death, in fact I could count on one hand how many times I've worn it out; It looks great but doesn't work for me.

On the look out now for another G1...I appear to have a bit of a G1 bug at present.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure the jacket in the original post is tagged as a size 48. That said, there is much variation in the sizing of 1960s and 1970s G-1s...especially in the larger sizes. The number on the spec tag is really just a loose approximation of the actual size of the jacket.

AF

bn1966

Thanks Atticus, will be sure to get measurements on any future G1 purchases :-D

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I have a very beat up old Star sportswear G-1 (someone Used it like a snowmobile Jacket in the 70s) and Its always been my *Lucky* Jacket!!!

of all the G-1 Jackets Ive owned, I would say that nothing compares to the Star Sportswear Jacket.

Deacon211

One Too Many
The Eastman Size 46 M-422A is now on eBay Deacon. I've only worn it a handful of times and did wonder why? I've had lots of positive comments about the Star Sportswear G1 in the short time I've owned it, I prefer the cut and drape, hide grain and collar. On reflection: The ELC M-422A has never felt 'quite right' on. Shoulders are big, I don't like the cut of the sleeves & the fit around the chest could be better...observations have been made by others that it looks 'tight' & unflattering in comparison with the G1. It spends it's time hidden away in my wardrobe and needs to be worn & enjoyed by someone...thus time to part with it. It's the only ELC jacket that I haven't worn to death, in fact I could count on one hand how many times I've worn it out; It looks great but doesn't work for me.

On the look out now for another G1...I appear to have a bit of a G1 bug at present.

Ya gotta go with you heart on these things. I find that my ELC G-1 fits me really well and I love the leather. My only concern is how accurate the pattern is to its 1950's counterpart. It certainly looks different than your Star (which incidentally looks very much like the jackets I was issued). That makes me wonder if ELC didn't make the G-1 that they would have wished to have were they flying in the 50's and not the one they would have had if they were flying in the 50's.

Of course, being no G-1 expert, I can't really say one way or another....but I do like how it looks on me. So, maybe I should quit while I'm ahead! :D

bn1966

Glad that G1 works for you Deacon.....you have gotta go with your heart on these things. The M422A pattern didn't work for me unfortunately (hopefully it will break through the reserve on eBay this week). I would really like an original early G1 but size may be against me..am certainly keeping a weather eye on whats out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff