Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2013 Cordovan Aero Cropduster

schitzo

Suspended
On the paperwork it says '(New) Cropduster' which sounds like it must in some way differ from the original, although how I don't know

Specs
Size 38 in Cordovan FQHH
27.5" long sleeves, cotton drill lined
Standard body length (28")
No inside pocket
Stock lining (which is brown tweed)
Antique brass hardware

It was made by the jacket making machine that is Julie Leitch and it looks spot on to me. If anyone from aero is reading please do pass on my thanks

Given the above, a question I would like to ask of the aerophiles here (you know who you are!) is how much would you guess the jacket weighs? If a few of you will wade in, I'll give you the answer.

Granted, you probably couldn't tell from these photos.. but for the record I am very pleased with it

(I didn't notice the back of the collar was muffed)

To me this jacket has a vintage look that I find appealing and I think one of the main things that originally attracted me - having had opportunity to view them all on my visit - is its shape.

These two pics possibly show the shape off a bit better than the others. In the second that's not a new pose I am playing with that's the work of an over-eager come impatient camerawoman - but I think its caught the shape quite well

The other thing I'm quite fond of is the buckles on the sleeves, and when I start wearing it in Autumn I'll probably tighten those up a touch

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Love the color... the fit.... take off the tag and keep her... It's badass... What boots you sportin?

Worf

PS Work on that collar a bit though....

It's a great jacket, fit-wise. I'm not fond of all the pockets myself, and I last wore a 38 when I was ~15, so I have no clue what that weighs - probably 60% of mine.
Interesting, it looks more brown than Cordovan from the pics.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Lookin extra sharp there, buddy! About as spot on of a fit as you could hope for. Congrats!

I'm gonna guess that beast weighs 12lbs

Btw- What boots are those (or are they bluchers)?

schitzo

Suspended
Oh I'm definitely keeping it, I just had to grab the opportunity to have these pics taken while it was there, and didn't have any scissors to hand at the time (or the ability to unpick it myself).

Interestingly my eyes and the camera don't see this colour the same way. For my eyes it's nothing like brown at all, I'd describe it as a purpley burgundy. For me Cordovan is an accurate label

Here's another pic that still doesn't really capture the colour either but that perhaps looks a bit less brown

for those asking, actually they aren't boots, though boots would probably be better. Those are plain toe #8 shell cordovan shoes

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Schitz, that is an exceptional looking jacket that obviously fits you quite well, perhaps the best of any jacket that you have shown us to date. The pictures and description/review also top notch. The jacket back length at 28" is perfect. Same for the 27.5" sleeves that will shorten a bit as the jacket creases. Can you comment about the brown tweed lining? What about the sleeve lining and ease of use? Again, you are to be commended for this fine presentation! :thumb:

schitzo

Suspended
As we know from attempts at posting color samples lately it's hard to get right. That pic looks more like it. And it looks great.

yeah, but it's still not right. That looks reddy but there should be plenty of purple to behold.

Ah well, que sera obladi oblada. Maybe I'll snap a better one later

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Schitz, that is an exceptional looking jacket that obviously fits you quite well, perhaps the best of any jacket that you have shown us to date. The pictures and description/review also top notch. The jacket back length at 28" is perfect. Same for the 27.5" sleeves that will shorten a bit as the jacket creases. Can you comment about the brown tweed lining? What about the sleeve lining and ease of use? Again, you are to be commended for this fine presentation! :thumb:

Fanch, kudos for immediately spotting the holes in my presentation. The tweed lining is the one thing I forgot to photo. I'll add one tomorrow, and a comment or two. Sleeves are cotton drill lined (which I will add to the OP). Actually, all three jackets that I now own are excellent fits and I'd have to say that driving all that way to Scotland - as much as I hated it at the time - has really paid off.

So what's your guess at the weight? I don't wanna give out too many clues - i.e. say how it feels on etc - as I am genuinely interested to hear what aerophiles such as yourself anticipate. For your reference, my 2.5oz steerhide (i think it was 2.5oz thick) roadster that's 25.5 long weights 2.59kg

schitzo

Suspended
Schitz, the poster boy of cool. Congratulations. 8.5 lbs?

hah.

Thanks.

I just checked pounds to kilos, and that's 3.8kg.

I'll tell you how much soon enough, but I would still very much like to first hear guesses from SimonC, Cooperson, Fanch, Dav, Worf, Paulie.. and anyone else out there who's been through a shedload of aeros

schitzo

Suspended
Schitzo, your best so far. I'd have to say 2.4 kg.

thanks wdw i dunno how i left you off the list as when I wrote it you were at the front of my mind, especially as I believe you are a similar size (40, right?)

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Schitzo, cordovan's a colour that's really hard to get across to those that haven't seen it, no matter how many pics you take. I've got two and would have to say it's nearer brown than burgundy, but most folk seem to think it's predominantly purple. As to your weight, I'd put money on 2.2-2.4 kg. 2.3kg as a safe bet.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Looking good schitzo, cordovan is a great choice... Mine doesn't, but let us know if you notice any color transfer (bleeding)

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Looks very, very sharp! The fit is absolutely spot on! Congratulations, makes me salivate over my own Maxwell in cordovan, due in 6 months, I'm having a really hard time getting an accurate idea about that color but am glad I picked it over standard brown. How's the tweed lining (look/feel and temp. wise)? When I asked Aero told me they couldn't mail me a picture, they would just see what was on hand at the time of making and then pick a good match. Didn't like that so I went with a flashy tartan but for the next one -my wife 'd better not be reading this- I might go for an austere tweed lining.

As for the weight: I'd think about 5 kg (11 lbs)?

Edward

Bartender
Turned out well. Looks a similar length to the Bootlegger, I think? Can be a hard colour to photograph. Smoz has some good shots up round these parts of his HWM in cordovan. Definitely not a brown. Best shot I have of my cordovan Bootlegger is this one:

250721_10150831101222260_1352761461_n.jpg

There was a little artificial light used in this shot, but it does capture the colour very well. Definitely more of a burgundy-red with just a tiny hint of purple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters