Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20's-30's book recommendations

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I recently have gotten some great advice about starting to look for clothing more in the 20's and 30's era ( because of body shape). Trouble is, I really have NO idea of what these ladies wore...besides going the ebay route, I was wondering if any of you ladies know of any great books out there that are great for getting ideas with everything pertaining to how they did their hair, make-up, clothing, and maybe even their accessories.
Thanks ladies!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
My #1 favorite book on 30's clothing is by Schiffer Books and is called Collectible Fashions of the Turbulent 1930s. It has info on evening, daywear, accessories, shoes, hats, jewelry, etc... it's aimed at collecters but gives a very good overview of the period and it's a nice hardcover book with a decent amount of pages. Definately worth the price.

Another favorite, aimed at a specific designer is the Madeline Vionnet book. It's large format and is filled with gorgeous pictures and even patterns to enlarge. It's also a bit pricey but worth every penny. It covers primarily the 20's and 30's.

And of course, there's the Sears books which offer a great idea of what the average woman wore during the period. These are less fashion forward and more do-able for dressing up!
Everyday Fashions of the Twenties
Everyday Fashions of the Thirties

More Schiffer books:
Fashions of the Roaring 1920's.
Roaring 20's Fashions: Deco
Roaring 20's Fashions: Jazz
Flapper Era Fashions Mid-20's

And Schiffer has this relatively new line which is on my wish list ;)
Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs Late 1930's

Hope that helps :)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
mysterygal said:
I recently have gotten some great advice about starting to look for clothing more in the 20's and 30's era ( because of body shape).

Is there a guide on the net as to 'what to wear vintage for your shape' or can someone give a breakdown on here?

There are the obvious ones of course and I realise that 20s ladies were very slim and that is what you are refering too mysterygal.

But I am sure there are things I don't know, like for example in the 40s women tried to make their hips slimmer - I didn't realise that at all until someone posted it in the corsets and girdles thread!

So what shape suits what era?

Lauren

In my opinion I think that 20's looks best on figures that are even measure in hips and bust- of course, this can be faked, but it looks great to be "straight" even if not super thin. The thirties is the same- mostly for the early-mid. It also helps with the 20's-mid 30's to not be as busty. Once you get into the later 30's-40's it seems slim hips and wider shoulders start coming in and with the later 40's it starts to get more hourglassy- though of course, the hourglass is timeless, it looks excellent in 40's, 50's and early 60's styles. If you are more busty the 50's is also a great option- particularly the later 50's. But of course, all this can be faked with padding (hips, bust, and/or shoulders) and girdles or waist cinchers ;)

Here's a link to silhouettes from 1920-1930
and 1930-1940

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Thanks Lauren. That is really interesting!

The 1940s are my chosen era. I do have an hourglass shape however my shoulders are very narrow and I do think that if I didn't have such a large cup size then I would be a pear shape. So it looks like shoulder pads and the girdle are going to be the best option for me.

I need to go book shopping myself, I would like a book which explains the body shape and clothes fashions from the victorian age until modern day. It will probably be a big old book if it does exist!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As Lauren mentioned, I would recommend the Everyday Fashions Books. They are the first books I bought to help me figure out which clothes to purchase, and I still use them to this day to get ideas for everything from accessories like hats, shoes and gloves to day dresses to evening wear. I have found them to be the most helpful. You can get them on Amazon for a good price.
I also have a book, Vintage Styles, I can't remember if this has been mentioned already. Either way, it is also a good guide to dressing vintage in the golden era.
I hope you find what you are looking for. But, I have to say, I saw you at the QM, and you looked great. You've got the vintage style down!!:)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
As for 20's fashions I just wanted to add that the straight lines also work for some larger-size ladies too. If you happen to have a thick waist, and fairly small hips, the looser waists disguise it.

I think that the 30's closely draped gowns are the hardest to wear, the slightest "bump" is emphasized. :eek:

Lauren

Yes! That is a good point! I think all the styles can lend well to different sizes- it's just a matter of proper foundation garments regardless of size. As Tourbillion says, the drapey 30's styles, especially bias cut, are not very forgiving. If you watch old movies very closely you can see where certain stars were in need of foundations because the dresses are so clingy.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
~landgirl~ said:
There are the obvious ones of course and I realise that 20s ladies were very slim and that is what you are refering too mysterygal.

I love the 40's style as well, but the hourglass shape..I don't have :( At the QM, I got the chance to talk to Jitterbugdoll about this, it has been VERY frustrating for me with my purchases because the dresses didn't quite seem to fit the way they were made to , so she was the one who gave me the great advice to check into the earlier era's.
Thank you so much Lauren for giving me some great ideas of what to start looking for out there...you really have been a big help :D

Sunny

One Too Many
~landgirl~ said:
Is there a guide on the net as to 'what to wear vintage for your shape' or can someone give a breakdown on here?

But I am sure there are things I don't know, like for example in the 40s women tried to make their hips slimmer - I didn't realise that at all until someone posted it in the corsets and girdles thread!

So what shape suits what era?

Mind-reader! All of you MUST read this, posted on A Dress A Day a couple weeks ago!

Are you a Ruler or an Apple?

I just put it up on my own blog because it is so stinkin' GOOD. It's exactly what you're talking about.

I'm an Hourglass; when I put on weight, it's in a Pear configuration. :p

Sunny

One Too Many
IIRC she said that a lot of Upside-Down Triangles (broad shoulders, narrow hips) tend to become Apples later in life. The thing is, with those broad shoulders and narrow hips you can still get away with a lot! Rulers have it the best, I think; they can approximate any style, and there really isn't anything that they can't do.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Tourbillion said:
I think that the 30's closely draped gowns are the hardest to wear, the slightest "bump" is emphasized. :eek:

Yes! I have always seen pics of Jean Harlow (and others) in those slinky satin numbers and they leave nothing to the imagination- aare they even wearing undergarments/stockings?[huh] lol

Mojito

One Too Many
Love these two that Lauren has mentioned:

Roaring 20's Fashions: Deco
Roaring 20's Fashions: Jazz

Just bought them, and they've been doing the rounds of the office. Some of my colleagues are drawing inspiration from them for the 20s Shanghai themed office Christmas party (my dress is already selected) - in particular the draping of shawls has received close study.

I enjoy the chatty tone and the exquisite illustrations (although the author is as fond of her exclamation marks as I am of my parenthetical asides).

Mojito

One Too Many
I do think they're worth it, Lauren - the author has worked to balance primary source material from the 20s (ads, articles etc) with lovely period fashion plates and also well shot contemporary photographs of vintage garments. She has also juxtaposed quite a few ensembles of vintage clothing and accessories with very similar outfits in period ads and fashion plates - to fascinating effect. Placed side-by-side, it brings the period images to life. Also fairly generous in the coverage of male clothing. There's an interesting timeline that threads through each chapter, providing some context. Not exactly an encylopedia of the fashion of the era down to the absolute minutae, but very attractive books and fascinating images.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley