Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 button single breasted in Baltimore

Big Joe

Familiar Face
Yesterday in a men's clothing shop in Baltimore I had a chance to chat with an 84 year old salesman named Stan. Stan fought in WWII and he had a lot to say about men's styles in the 40's. He's been in retail since the war.

Stan said that he was a "3 button man" and not a double breasted guy when it came to suits. He maintained that in the 40's there were stores that sold only 3 button suits, they were that popular. He believed that double breasted suits were most popular in the 30's.

Needless to say I bought a nice blue new single breasted 3 holer ($100 new). The suit looks great with a grey fedora. The cut is just a bit different than some pictures I have seen from the 40's. With a pocket hankerchief, two tone shoes and a bow tie I think I am ready for anything.

What do you have to say about this look?

Big Joe

Marty M.

Vendor
Big Joe,
Sounds like you're right on track for looking satorial splended. You did leave out some details. Like, what about your shirt and tie combo? What color is your two tone shoes? Are you set up for braces? Is this a year round weight fabric? You're probably a french cuff shirt guy. Sorry Big Joe, but if you're going to tell us about your outfit, you need to fill in the blanks.

Marty

Big Joe

Familiar Face
Here goes: Black and White two tone shoes, The bow tie is red, but I am considering varying it with a red handpainted necktie with blue and yellow flowers. Gold tone tie bar and cuff links of course. White shirt with french cuffs and a hankerchief. Braces will be the new frontier. Should I have gone the peak lapel look instead?

Big Joe

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Maryland Lounge Member

Hello Big Joe Greetings,

1. From your posting assume you reside in Maryland?

2. Is Hippodrome Hatters still in business in Baltimore
& if so do they still do cleaning & reblocking on hats?

3. Finally, welcome to the Lounge, would you be up
for a local Lounge get together if that ever came about?

Peter :cheers1:

Marty M.

Vendor
Johnny Unitis still rules.

Big Joe, Single breasted peaked is always a good look. But you'll look fine in a notch lapel also. Remember you make the clothing sing, Not the other way around. By the way I'm an old Maryland boy myself.

Marty

Big Joe

Familiar Face
Solid Citizen you wrote:

"Finally, welcome to the Lounge, would you be up
for a local Lounge get together if that ever came about?"

The answer is Yes. Let me know where and when, perhaps my dame can join us.

While I don't live in Maryland, I am close enough to the border here in PA to "spit at it".

Thanks for the welcome,

Big Joe

Wild Root

Gone Home
Three button singles are the top favorite for me when it comes to single breasted (I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a die hard DB man my self) I enjoy the look of a fine vintage three button suit from the late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. This gentleman at the shop you went to sounds like a fountain of knowledge about the golden era! Go back and keep plucking info from him! I know that after the war the DB look was still going very strong but, it really depended on who the guy was and the part of the country you lived.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m happy you got a suit from this guy but, by all means my good man, POST A PHOTO! We?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d love to see what you have and we could all take part in giving you some vintage advice. Two tone shoes are always very classy but, so are a good pair of black caps! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d also find an array of nice striped shirts with a nice vintage like collar to pair with a blue suit. The beauty of a blue suit is that you can accessorize the living daylights out of it! The types of shoes you can choose from are as fallows?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ Black wing tips, black capped toes, brown wingtips or capped toes. Two tones are great for spring or summer wear depending on your area. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d also say you could pull of a nice pair of white bucks with a blue suit! I do it all the time and get all sorts of complements. I have seen some great photos from the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s of guys wearing white bucks with dark suits. I kind of like that look my self. I also feel that if you can find some, gray shoes of the said styles would accent your suit very nicely too!

Ties, you can wear some great colors with a blue suit! Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t forget that some shades of brown actually go well with a dark suit. If you want to go for a real vintage look, there?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s nothing that will help out your look then a good vintage tie!

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m looking forward to seeing a photo of you and your suit!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner