Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-D printing my own shuttle loom?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Hey, can you one day use a 3-D printer to make a shuttle loom and make your own textiles? I imagine this would give a kick-start to the vintage clothing cottage industry. You could 3-D print an authentic 1940's shuttle loom and make raw denim like in the old days for very little money.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My husband works with a group of people who are working on 3-D printing ears out of living tissue for those who were born without or lost their outer ear (the part you see).

If they are having preliminary success with 3-D printing body parts, anything else has got to be possible, right?

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I think the best bet would be to buy a hardwood loom. I haive a metal framed loom and it does not have the shock absorbing characteristics. My maple loom is much better. I do not know if composits from a 3 d printer would be sturdy enough.

Finding the proper yarn would be a challenge and weaving is not a speedy hobby.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Single ply cotton yarn that is tightly spun for the warp would be hard to find. I doubt that there would be enough of a cash savings to justify the time expended unless there is NO source for the fabric you want.

If you need to spin your own yarn your time expended would be extreme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany