Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 New Books You Might Like

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The golden age of Hollywood comes alive in Sept and Oct with the release of three new autobiographies you might be interested in reading.

The first is PIECES OF MY HEART: A LIFE from Robert Wagner. I have started reading this and it is hysterical. RJ pulls no punches as he recounts his rise to stardom and his friendship with all the greats - Stewart, Grant, Astaire, Niven, Sinatra. He also talks candidly about his tragic loss of his wife Natalie Wood.

Then, DON'T MIND IF I DO by George Hamilton. It is the tan man's version of Niven's BRING ON THE EMPTY HORSES - it is collection of his great stories. Hamilton is also a self-deprecating wit full of style. His first book was a great read and I expect another hit. One story involves retrieving topless pics of his then-girlfriend Liz Taylor.

Lastly, MY WORD IS BOND by Roger Moore. He hasn't written a book since his LIVE AND LET DIE DIARY which was full of great behind-the-scenes stories. Moore, like Wagner and Hamilton, is a stylish guy who has seen Hollywood at its greatest. Of course, he was also 007!

You can also get Wagner and Moore's books on CD, read by the author. As a bonus - AMAZON.UK has David Niven's BRING ON THE EMPTY HORSES on CD read by the great man himself!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I was actually skimming through Wagner's book today at work. My memories of him are strictly from his Hart to Hart era, so it's a kick to read about him and the loads of people he knew before then. Turns out, he was chummy with Harold Lloyd, so that makes him an okay guy in my book. I am definitely putting it on the queue.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
Wasn't Hart to Hart a remake of the "Thin Man" series of the 30's with NicK and Nora, did the Hart's have a dog called Astor?

It was a Nick & Nora-inspired show (a husband and wife solving crimes with style). The wit - or the mysteries - were not as sparkling as The Charles but Wagner and Power were incredible together. They has a dog named Freeway and a manservent named Max, played by the great Lionel Stander (who played the first Archie Goodwin in the movies). An interesting story in the book was when NBC wanted to revive Hart to Hart as movies, Wagner wouldn't do it without Stander. The network didn't want an old guy hanging around but Wagner (as the book shows time and time again) stood by his friends. Another trivia was the house they showed the Harts living in belonged at one time to actor Dick Powell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav