Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s-50s British Suit Trouser photo resource

Here's my latest idea. A single thread where we can talk about the details of British suit trousers of the 30s-50s. The cut seems to have been largely invariant, but there are distinct details which appear sometimes but not always. (I'm hoping herringbonekid and Ben Stephens will add their pictures too.)

Maybe this thread will give some of you some ideas for getting repros made.

Anyway, from my scanty collection of British menswear we start in the 1930s.

A pair of cream flannels. Note scalloped back pocket flap, side adjusters at the waistband, high-ish but not crazy high waist, the waistband gets thicker at the back, creating a rise to the back seam. The leg is very wide (22.5") at the cuff.

BritTrousers1.jpg
BritTrousers2.jpg

#2 30s: Again a high-ish waist rising to the back, this time to a fishtail. External suspender buttons, no back pocket flap. Not so wide cuffs at a mere 19.5".

BritTrousers3.jpg
BritTrousers4.jpg

bk

benstephens

Practically Family
Baron,

I will post as soon as I can, but this is a good topic. When I get home at the weekend I will start to take some pictures of the trouser details.

Kindest Regards

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
I will try and get a picture of the trousers on. These ones do not fit at the moment, the waist is too large. That will be rectified in the very near future.

Baron, do you want plus-fours he as well as trousers?

Ben

iammatt

Familiar Face
My problem with very highwaisted pants is that they look terrible when viewed from the front. The person looks like he has no upper body, which is not particularly flattering. I know that there are many other reasons to wear them, and if you never open your jacket it really doesn't matter, but high pants just seem to lack any sex appeal whatsoever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24