Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's Gentlemen's Etiquette

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Hi,

I have been searching back through out the history of the FL and can't find a
proper answer to my question:

Could someone tell me etiquette for everyday for a man (No hat etiquettes)
Such as what to do if a lady approaches you etc.?

Cheers!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I think he means when she's walking towards him on the street and about to pass. If you had a hat on, you tipped it. If you had no hat on, then what? I know you didn't turn and whistle---unless she was a hussy and then only on Saturday.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have a couple of extra copies of the book. If anyone's interested, I could post them for sale in Classifieds (I was planning on putting them up on eBay at some point, but could sell them here instead).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One old school etiquette rule I find tedious these days (in regards to meeting women) is the one where a man is not supposed to shake a woman's hand unless she offers her hand first.

Edward

Bartender
One old school etiquette rule I find tedious these days (in regards to meeting women) is the one where a man is not supposed to shake a woman's hand unless she offers her hand first.

Probably not one that could be applied in most professional situations these days, for likelihood of being thought rude.

Derek WC

Banned

This only really bothers me when you are meeting a younger lady, as they usually don't know of this rule, so they wait for you to offer your hand.

Derek WC

Banned
I have a couple of extra copies of the book. If anyone's interested, I could post them for sale in Classifieds (I was planning on putting them up on eBay at some point, but could sell them here instead).

Ahh, I hadn't noticed this before. I too would be interested.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
This only really bothers me when you are meeting a younger lady, as they usually don't know of this rule, so they wait for you to offer your hand.

I grew up thinking that women didn't shake hands, except when passing the peace in church. It has only been since starting work in offices that I have begun to (and I usually offer my hand because it irritates me when a handshake is assumed between and not with me - and worse, when the men shake hands with each other but try to kiss me). These young women may not be waiting for you to offer your hand, they may just not have shaking hands in their learned behaviours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy