Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4 More 40's Hats

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
These are four of the 1940's hats I purchased from the recent Lounge classifieds:

1. 1940's Knox Fifteen this was advertised as larger that my 7 3/8 size, but
fits like a glove!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/pthorson/IMG_0109.jpg

2. 1940's gray Borsalino Alessandria feather light.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/pthorson/IMG_0110.jpg

3. 1940's Davis twin bow, really nice hat!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/pthorson/IMG_0111.jpg

4. 1940's FR Tripler & Co. Windsor V, now this is what I call felt!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/pthorson/IMG_0112.jpg

Peter ;)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Yowee!!

They are some mighty fine hats, SC!

:cheers1:

I must say, I have never heard any mention of an FR Tripler & Co. or the "Windsor V". Is it English perhaps? To my eye it looks like an ultra-high quality fedora. I particularly like the rust colored ribbon.

Well done again with your saavy purchases.

All the best,

Mr. 'H'.

Wild Root

Gone Home
AAAAAAAAA! Those are smmooooooooooth!!!

Ok, now who was the fool selling those? and why would they want to let them go??? Oh brother, those are some swell lids my friend!!! That 3. 1940's Davis twin bow, is really something!

Good job!

=WR=

stylinfedoras

New in Town
Wild Root said:
Ok, now who was the fool selling those? and why would they want to let them go???
=WR=

Well, it was me. I sold those hats and since they didn't fit me so well they were of little value to me. I am happy that they have finally found a beter home than I could provide for them. I have so many hats that the room I gained was well worth the sale. I didn't want to list them on eBay because of hassle even though I do sell there freqently.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Thanks Lounge Members

1. Thanks Sytlinfedoras for selling me this hat grouping & I
look forward to wearing them for many years to come.

2. Thank you Mr. 'H', I look forward to your future unveiling.

3. Wild Root yes, I would say the Davis is one terrrific hat, thank you.

4. KR your looking good in that avatar keep up the 40's stylin, thanks!

5. KD Lightner thanks for the good words.

7. Thanks Kaleponi Craig!

8. John in Covina hope to keep an Ace tucked up inside that Davis, thanks!

Peter :cheers1:

stylinfedoras

New in Town
Solid Citizen said:
1. Thanks Sytlinfedoras for selling me this hat grouping & I look forward to wearing them for many years to come.
Peter :cheers1:

I appreciate your kind words and am elated that your head is so versatile in size in that you can wear such a wide range of sizes. The F R Tripler was a very fine felt and I tried to wear it because I loved it so much but it was too darn tight. Sometimes right after a haircut I could do it for awhile but the best part of it now is that it has found a head that it fits better than it did me. I hope you enjoy those hats because it has made me very happy to see that they have found a great new home. ;)

FR Tripler (gratuitous history for those so inclined). . .

Mr. 'H' said:
I must say, I have never heard any mention of an FR Tripler & Co. or the "Windsor V". Is it English perhaps? To my eye it looks like an ultra-high quality fedora. I particularly like the rust colored ribbon.

Nope, American.

For many years, the "better" men's stores in NY were clustered on Madison Ave. in the mid-40s, with Brooks Brothers at 44th St., Paul Stuart at 45th and Tripler's at 46th. JPress and Chipp (now gone) were around the corner from BB on 44th. I'm pretty sure Rogers Peet was somewhere nearby as well.

Triplers closed some 10-15 years ago (the space is now occupied by Jos. A. Bank), but Brooks, PStuart and JPress are still there.

As for the "Windsor" bit, that's just good ol' American Anglophilia: it's perceived to add a touch of class, as well as a few bucks to the price.

Sardou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo