Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40's era suit help

Pantherman

New in Town
I was wondering if anyone could point me to a website, or clothes pattern company that has patterns, color schemes and style of the old 1940's clothing. I want to make this as authenic as possible, so I'm looking at getting as close to the orginal colors as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Pantherman

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, isn't this the million dollar question! I'll tell you about my experiences with said subject. First, a little background to set the stage.

I started to collect vintage clothes in 1996 and after collecting a few suits, I started to wonder if anyone could reproduce these exactly to original specs and quality. Well, I did have one suit made that was rather close to original specs and style with a belted back and other mid 30's details. The fabric was a little on the light side but, it works well. However, when it comes to making suits just as they did in the 1930's or 1940's, it's almost a lost art!

There are some small tailor shops in China Town who make very good suits for cheap compared to some of the high priced ones in Beverly Hills... they will look at what ever original piece you have and will copy it just by looking at it. It's something they can do very well if provided enough things to look at. Fabric is probably the #1 thing... they made fabric very differently in those years, it's heavier, has more body to it they were made to last and to hold up to more tasks then suits are today.

Also, tailors today don't understand the fundamentals to old world tailoring. In the 30's and 40's, most suits didn't have full linings, also the cut of the jacket was higher, closer fit to the body, gave the man an hour glass shape... shoulders were some what wider, trousers draped gracefully from the hips in an uninterrupted line down to the cuff. Pleats were popular as well.

What I'd recommend you to do is, find a nice 1940's or earlier suit, buy it and take it to a tailor shop, explain what you want and tell him you want him to copy the suit you have to the stitch... show him all the details, and you may find him cooperative. As for fabric, you may want to look on ebay, check out suit ads and also original suits to get an idea of colors. You may want to look up some of the old threads and look at the photos of some of the other members in our original suits.

Best of luck!
=WR=

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Welcome Pantherman, and good luck with your search. There's an awful lot of knowledge rolling around here to help, that's for sure.

Jay

Practically Family
Being excruciatingly specific with ones tailor is a very important rule. Last month I took my mid-forties dark blue DB pinstripe suit to my tailor and asked if he could make the jacket more fitted and pinch the waist. He agreed and i thought he caught my drift with the whole "40's fashion fit" I was looking for. Needless to say, I got it back later and all he did was take in an inch or so. It still sags on me. I need to find someone better...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael