Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40's or 40's inspired christmas music?

Michaelson

One Too Many
I grew up with all those albums, and a few more...but then my Dad, then I, worked for Goodyear back 'in the day', and these were given to the employees outside the company stores (the ONLY location these could be purchased at the time).....Regards. Michaelson

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Michaelson
I grew up with all those albums, and a few more...

So did I! I'd bet my mother still has those albums packed away in the basement.

Hmmm Ella Fitzgerald... I might have to stop by the music store on the way home.

Let's not forget the classics.
g04952vbbno.jpg

Tom

Blackjack

One Too Many
My FAVORITE subject!!! I'll give you some of my absolute favorites
Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters Complete Christmas Hits
Manhattan Transfer Christmas
Doris Day- Personal Christmas Collection
Gene Autry's Complete Columbia Christmas Collection
Dean Martin-Making Spirits Bright
Ultra Lounge series-both Christmas Cd's
Louis Armstrong- Cool Yule or Hipsters Holiday
Arthur Lyman- With a Christmas Vibe
and last but not least... The Chipmunks Greatest Christmas Hits

cuddle up with some brandy egg nog and have a cool yule!

Trickeration

Practically Family
I have a few 1940's Christmas 78's. Bing Crosby is the easiest to find. But I also always check out cassettes at the thrift stores. Here's what we have to set the Christmas mood at our house.

"A 1940's Christmas" Has Jo Stafford, Lena Horne, Perry Como, Benny Goodman and others.

"Christmas Favorites" has Ella, Nat, Bing, Fred Waring and some choir songs.

"Christmas With The Big Bands" Claude Thornhill, Sammy Kaye, Woody Herman, Les Brown, Charlie Spivak, Ellington, J. Dorsey, Beneke, Goodman, etc.

"Merry Christmas" with Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters

"In The Christmas Mood" which is all Glenn Miller Orchestra. My friend has this on CD, so I'm guessing it's pretty available, still.

We also have some 50's and rockabilly Christmas music, some of the neo-swing band stuff. You can find lots of stuff at the pharmacy type stores like CVS and Walgreens this time of year. Also at TJ Maxx, Ross, and Marshalls.

The latter three stores are also excellent for finding CD's of swing music. I've gotten box sets of 8 CD's for $14, amd found some hard to come by recordings. I never leave those stores without new CD's!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Thanks for the head up Mojave, Setzer & his band are coming to the 9:30 Club in Washington DC to support the Xmas CD. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy also has an Xmas CD out haven't heard it , but they are supposed to be in Baltimore for an Xmas concert early in December. Manhattan Transfer is doing a two night stand in DC for an Xmas concert. Sound like a swingin east coast Xmas! Peter :cool:

Ralphie

New in Town
Hi!

I'm a newb here. Just discovered this forum and it looks great! I finally found some people who appreciate the Golden Era!

I am broadcasting nothing but "30s and '40s Christmas music on Live365. If you have high speed internet you might want to check it out (its free).

http://www.live365.com/stations/hoolster?play&site=live365

...Click the link above (or copy it into your browser) to listen!

Ralphie

Michaelson

One Too Many
All I listen to during the day is ragtime from Live365. I have found, though, that unless you're a member, you'll play hob trying to log onto a Christmas music channel this time of year. I've tried. :rolleyes: ;)

Regards! Michaelson

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I was at Kohl's today and picked up their holiday Album. For $5 (with proceeds going to charity) you get traditional Christmas music sung by Dean Martin and Nat King Cole.

Michaelson

One Too Many
What I find SO funny is that I had never heard that song before until about 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm old enough to have heard it LONG ago. Must have been to 'racey' for my part of the country when it came out.;)

Regards! Michaelson

Jessica

One of the Regulars
If you like Ella Fitzgerald ( and who doesn't?) you'll love "Ella Fitzgerald Wishes You a Swingin' Christmas". I love it!

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Call me crazy but I like Madonna's version of 'Santa Baby' that was on the Very Special Christmas Vol. 1 album. She does it in a very Betty Boopish voice. I probably love it so much because that album has been a part of my christmas tradition as far back as I can remember, particularly the car ride my family and I take every year to a christmas tree farm in connecticut to get our tree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn