Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40's Purses

cecil

A-List Customer
Cordé purses/handbags?

I am confused by these things.

I recently picked up a black cordé handbag from a local shop for AUD$35. I guessed it was a 40s bag. However both a few weeks before I bought it and a week after I bought it I found two very similar bags for AUD $175-$200 (buh!) and two of them were labelled 50s. They weren't designer or anything, none had manufacturers labels and all were in good condition but not NOS or anything. I've searched Ebay for them and while the prices are much more reasonable, the bags are dated anywhere between the 30s to the 60s.

Could some of you ladies please enlighten me as to the date and value of these bags? Mine has the more "squiggly" corde pattern and is a sortof trapezoid shape.

Any insight appreciated!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I've not got spectator purses, but I really like the vintage 40s ones that are corde'. I got my first little black one from my favorite dealer, then found others (I have 5 or 6 now) on evilBay. I haven't been a purse kind of gal for years. Now I'm hooked!

altamari22 said:
I have been searching for a great vintage purse. But what I have come across is repos that dont look the part or vintage torn purses. Does anyone know where you can get a nice purse that is in the 40's style.
Im mostly looking for a spectator purse.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
If any of you gals is handy with a sewing machine try this book out for size:

Making Vintage bags by: Emma Brenan

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Vintag...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247402866&sr=8-1

I have made three or four from this book. I make them when I can't find the "perfect" purse for a certian outfit or amd being cheap and don't want to spend money on a purse I may not use alot. what can I say being scotch-irish runs in the familylol !

Samantha

Inky

One Too Many
I purchased this bag recently and it is said by the seller to be 40's, which could be true. It is wool felt with a heavy satin lining and the seller stated the rings were Bakelite but I am not that familiar with Bakelite so i really don't know. It was only $9.99, so I'm not complaining whatever it is!

I know there are tests you can do - but what is safe to try on the rings, or can one of you wise ladies tell me what you think. Click here for a HUGE version of this image to see the rings better.

3746552323_0a57092211.jpg

also I posted this in the Show Us Your Purchases, but thought it might be worthy of a repost here. I love love love this bag (and this one I know has lucite handles!):

3718543319_8b54e2f56a.jpg

It has a cylinder shape and is in impeccable condition.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Inky - Do the rings have a seam where two ends are joined? Or are they one continuous ring all the way around? I.e., were they made from a straight plastic rod that was bent into a circle or were they cast/molded into a continuous circle?

Inky

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
Inky - Do the rings have a seam where two ends are joined? Or are they one continuous ring all the way around? I.e., were they made from a straight plastic rod that was bent into a circle or were they cast/molded into a continuous circle?

There is no seam on the rings at all, either on the outer or inner edge, or even where a bent rod would connect to itself. the outer edge is flattened a bit, but smooth. Some are more opaque than others.

zendy

A-List Customer
If you have any 409 you can put it on a q-tip and swipe the inside of the ring. I think if it comes off yellow it's bakelite. Also, you can rub a ring with you thumb and finger until it gets hot and then smell it. If it smells like formaldehyde it's bakelite.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I was just going to post the same thing as Zendy. Try rubbing one of the rings really hard with your finger until it feels hot, then smell the ring. If you get an acrid smell like formeldyhyde, it's bakelite.

The colors look right for bakelite. What do they call that color combo, root beer swirl? I can't remember for sure.

Inky

One Too Many
okay ladies, thank you so much for your help....it's not bakelite!

I tried the rubbing thing and it smelled of nothing. So i got some 409 and no yellow. Must just be some type of plastic.

But no matter, for $9.99, it's a lovely wool felt purse and I like it just the same! Now I know it's not too precious to use :)

DillyDolly

New in Town
Sources

When I lived in England, I managed to get my purses off eBay. You might want to look further afield. Etsy, like the others said and just junk stores. I've found amazing stuff in Salvation Army stores. We go every week to see what we can find.

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
gee thanks retrogirl, now i have another book on my "must have" list :rolleyes: i already had to replace my old bookcase because it literally collapsed :eek:
51b-Y-ZmYoL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy