Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

49er Fans to wear suits to game Sept 10th

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Since Reebok won't allow 49er coach Mike Nolan to wear a suit on the sideline more then 2 times a season 49er fan "Ninerfan21" has proposed that 49er fans show Reebok where to go by showing up for the Sept 10th game wearing suits.
Since this is San Francisco it should be interesting. BTW it's a Monday night game.
Bob.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
That's great to hear. I think it's ridiculous that Reebok won't let him wear a suit. I'm a huge 49ers fan, so maybe I'll wear a suit while I watch the game...or maybe not [huh].

Can you imagine someone like Vince Lombardi wearing khakis, sneakers, a team jacket, and cap instead of slacks, sweater, tie, overcoat, and hat?

1101621221_400.jpg

And wouldn't it be great if the fans at the Sept 10 game looked like the fans in this picture?

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
That is fantastic. I love the coaches that bring the suits back. If I were a niner fan ... hell, if I lived in the Bay Area, I'd be all over that game in my best threads.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
It's okay for a coach to dress like a slob, ala Belichick as long as your wearing Reeboks. But Coach Nolan can't wear a suit to honour the great coaches from the past including his father. BTW former 49er coach Dick Nolan isn't doing to well besides prostrate cancer he also has alzheimer's disease and has recently been place in a assisted living facility. He was great player back in the day and a terrific coach.
Bob

cooncatbob

Practically Family
SinatraStyle said:
This is great news. Coach Nolan is a stand up guy! Maybe some fans will still decide to dress up anyway.

That would be cool, instead of a protest it could be a show of support.
Now we just need to get him in a nice Fedora.
Bob.

Devo

New in Town
I have been following this story since it first came to light back in May of '05.

It really is a shame you no longer see fedoras and ties on the sidelines. I know wearing a suit does not make someone a better coach and looking like a disheveled frat boy on Saturday morning after a kegger makes someone a bad coach, but there is something to be said about putting forth a commanding appearances to the team.

Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry were fantastic coaches who exemplified the way a leader should look and act.

Maybe that's the real issue - the players need to feel like they have a friend or equal as a coach and not a leader or superior.

While Bill Belichick looks horrible, I think the worst-dressed coaches are MLB where the managers wear the uniforms. Why? Are they going to grab a glove and trot on the field if the secondbaseman pulls his hamstring?
The best-dressed has got to be the NBA, even though hockey coaches always look sharp, too. But the NBA has Armani-wearing Pat Riley, so that alone catapults them to the top.

Devo

New in Town
SinatraStyle said:
That's great to hear. I think it's ridiculous that Reebok won't let him wear a suit. I'm a huge 49ers fan, so maybe I'll wear a suit while I watch the game...or maybe not [huh].

Can you imagine someone like Vince Lombardi wearing khakis, sneakers, a team jacket, and cap instead of slacks, sweater, tie, overcoat, and hat?

1101621221_400.jpg

And wouldn't it be great if the fans at the Sept 10 game looked like the fans in this picture?

The great Lombardi on the sidelines with a turtleneck?!?!lol :rage: :eek:

Just not right.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
It's a sweater. I saw another picture, from a different angle, and he's wearing a tie underneath. Remember, it's Green Bay...Brrrrrr.

Devo

New in Town
SinatraStyle said:
It's a sweater. I saw another picture, from a different angle, and he's wearing a tie underneath. Remember, it's Green Bay...Brrrrrr.

I guess my post was not clear, because I wasn't commenting on the picture on the cover of Time Magazine.
I was joking on how out of place Lombardi would look with a more casual attire like the coaches wear today. Modern coaches wear khakis, polos, sweatshirts and turtlenecks.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Devo said:
I guess my post was not clear, because I wasn't commenting on the picture on the cover of Time Magazine.
I was joking on how out of place Lombardi would look with a more casual attire like the coaches wear today. Modern coaches wear khakis, polos, sweatshirts and turtlenecks.

Ah, I misunderstood.

Devo

New in Town
J. M. Stovall said:
"The NFL with Reebok determines the apparel worn on the sidelines on gameday by all coaches, players and club personnel".

I guess this is just another way for the NFL to make some licensing cash.:mad:

It definitely is a way to make money.
The NFL gets money from Reebok to tell the coaches to only wear Reebok team appearal.
Reebok gets money because people see their favorite coaches and players wearing a hat or shirt or sweatshirt on the sidelines.

It's a vicious circle of greediness, but it keeps the NFL as one of the best-run leagues and why the NFL is the most popular league in the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany