Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50's and 60's fedora lounge?

Foofoogal

Banned
Haight-Ashbury. Saw a documentary the other day and how it started and how it ended up. It had Jerry Garcias wife speaking and how kids came there in droves and became homeless and overdosing. Not a pretty picture at all.

I definitely think the day Kennedy died was the end of innocence as a whole.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There were many things going on in the United States during the 1950's and 1960's that would challenge any age of innocence platform. For example McCarthyism, fear of communism and nuclear war during the Cold War and The Trial of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg to name a few.

The 1950's fostered conformity. The 1960's brought nonconformity. Nevertheless, our nation has weathered each era bringing forth a new understanding of how we grow and adapt as people.

Each decade is fluid bringing with it issues and challenges that we as a society strive to overcome.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Bustercat said:
Thanks for the lotta living link, that's great!

I did wonder why there wasn't an "Atomic Age" subforum here to complement the "Golden Age" one. Hey, Fedoras were worn then too. I figured it was a style thing.

I registered there years ago and there's very little "there", there; mostly realtors posting ads or other bloggers promoting their retro music shows. Plus, there's the occasional obituary or notice of a MidMod home set for demolition. Overrall, it's lifeless.

And to be perfectly honest, there's no place like the FL, and I ain't kissing up, either; there's just nowhere else where retro/vintage can be discussed at any given time with so many like minds and all those refreshingly diverse opinions.

As for the '50s-'60s (and '70s!), I love 'em all! Feel free to post a topic or six and I'll be reading it...

Foofoogal

Banned
The 1950's fostered conformity. The 1960's brought nonconformity.

While I do agree every era or generation has its good and its bad this line made me think and then laugh..

I guess the 1950s conformist are now the ones feeling the need to be nonconformist. The 1960s nonconformist are now the ones who feel most comfortable with now.
We have come full circle it seems. lol :eusa_clap
I know I am kicking and screaming to not go into the current direction..

vintagekttn

New in Town
Foofoogal said:
Haight-Ashbury. Saw a documentary the other day and how it started and how it ended up. It had Jerry Garcias wife speaking and how kids came there in droves and became homeless and overdosing. Not a pretty picture at all.

I definitely think the day Kennedy died was the end of innocence as a whole.

Glad to know that not much has changed in San Francisco. :p

Brooksie

One Too Many
pin_up_pixie said:
Over at www.pinuplifestyle.com our vintage forum focuses on the 50's and 60's (although we can always use more input, Loungers ALWAYS welcome). The site is all about the life style surrounding the pin up culture, from the 40's to the present. Feel free to check us out!

I am a member over on the pinuplifestyle, I love it!

Brooksie

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I would love to see more here focused on the 50s and early 60s. I've checked out other forums and there's not much out there. The PR is great for fashion and beauty info for those eras, but I'd love to see more here on architecture, decoration and design of those eras. Mid-century design is incredible, and the FL doesn't have much in that area.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I would love to see more here focused on the 50s and early 60s. I've checked out other forums and there's not much out there. The PR is great for fashion and beauty info for those eras, but I'd love to see more here on architecture, decoration and design of those eras. Mid-century design is incredible, and the FL doesn't have much in that area.

Totally second this. I guess we'll all just have to post more! On the topic of mid-century decor and design, have y'all seen Retro Renovation? So many wonderful pictures to swoon over, and lots of practical advice as well.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im saying this strictly as an observer and visitor of some of the other forums you all have mentioned here, and not a bartender of FL.

This forum started as a Golden Era forum. I can conservatively say 1930-1945. Then you have the outer interests which have pretty much been embraced from 1920 to about 1955, respectively. We have the occasional 1900 clothing query, but come on, thats not the focus of this forum. There are other forums out there that focus in that.

I find the reason that the main concentration of FL is so rich with content, is that people have a genuine historical interest in the era. That is what I find lacking in a lot of the other boards that talk about the later decades.

You get a lot of "Atomic Print is pretty, show yours!" But not an interest in the history of the designs/designers/ reason for the designs, etc. Now whether there are just not enough people who love that era and care to investigate the history is one thing, but I dont think we will ever find a forum dedicated to later eras like you will the FL to its eras.

To try and bring later decade content to a forum that has quite frankly, definitively chosen its era, and then be surprised when the "I hate the 70s" threads pick up so much momentum (I think that thread is silly BTW) should be an indicator that those threads are probably not going to get the quality of posts that galvanize the majority of threads on FL that make us love this place to begin with.

My 2¢
LD

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Im saying this strictly as an observer and visitor of some of the other forums you all have mentioned here, and not a bartender of FL.

This forum started as a Golden Era forum. I can conservatively say 1930-1945. Then you have the outer interests which have pretty much been embraced from 1920 to about 1955, respectively. We have the occasional 1900 clothing query, but come on, thats not the focus of this forum. There are other forums out there that focus in that.

I find the reason that the main concentration of FL is so rich with content, is that people have a genuine historical interest in the era. That is what I find lacking in a lot of the other boards that talk about the later decades.

You get a lot of "Atomic Print is pretty, show yours!" But not an interest in the history of the designs/designers/ reason for the designs, etc. Now whether there are just not enough people who love that era and care to investigate the history is one thing, but I dont think we will ever find a forum dedicated to later eras like you will the FL to its eras.

To try and bring later decade content to a forum that has quite frankly, definitively chosen its era, and then be surprised when the "I hate the 70s" threads pick up so much momentum (I think that thread is silly BTW) should be an indicator that those threads are probably not going to get the quality of posts that galvanize the majority of threads on FL that make us love this place to begin with.

My 2¢
LD
Great points.
But the thing about the I Hate the 70s type of mentality.
Who needs to dwell on negativity?
Id rather read a thread on loving a highwaisted trouser, than hating a low waist trouser.
But some people would rather complain than smile.

Oh, and didnt this forum start as an offshoot of Indy Gear fans?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
KittyT said:

Please feel free to do this at the Club Cad forum.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
As a still relative newcomer, I would proffer the observation that the FL is centered around the Golden Era (approximately), and that is what drew me in to begin with. If folks share an enthusiasm for the 50's, 60's, or 70's style, culture, and ephemera, then by all means create a forum devoted to those decades. I would visit for all the Detroit metal with fins and chrome.
I guess some threads could be focused on the above decades, but it seems like the raison d'etre for the FL is very specific...

Well, I think with any group of friends, one is going to have varied interests, and being that we've been here for a number of years, its natural we'd want to talk about things outside the 'Golden Era'. The film 'Avatar' isn't golden era, is it, but there's a five page thread on it in The Motion Picture forum.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
Great points.
But the thing about the I Hate the 70s type of mentality.
Who needs to dwell on negativity?
Id rather read a thread on loving a highwaisted trouser, than hating a low waist trouser.
But some people would rather complain than smile.

Oh, and didnt this forum start as an offshoot of Indy Gear fans?

This is it exactly....

Anytime anyone even starts to say something and start a -serious- topic about a later decade (whether it should be a larger focus area or not is not really the point here)......there are multiple someones who invade the thread with the sole purpose of scuppering it with their 'I hate that....." nonsense.

It's been said about so many topics here....'If you don't like reading about it, then don't click on that thread title'

Unfortunately there is a whole crowd that simply CANNOT take this advice and just skip a thread that is about something they dislike...Its much like the boorish man at a cocktail party who can only talk about himself and what he does....

and more unfortunately ....the perpetrators of this are -never- called on it...whereas in any other threads....they are.

Artie

Suspended
I think there's a pretty big umbrella here

The main focus here might be 1930-45, but there is plenty of discussion ranging all the way from the Victorian era to at least the early 60's. I think most people here don't like to get anymore recent than that is because the values that started to permeate our culture in the mid 60's is what most of us (not all, I realize that) are trying to minimize in our own lives.

Geesie

Practically Family
Artie said:
The main focus here might be 1930-45, but there is plenty of discussion ranging all the way from the Victorian era to at least the early 60's. I think most people here don't like to get anymore recent than that is because the values that started to permeate our culture in the mid 60's is what most of us (not all, I realize that) are trying to minimize in our own lives.

And by that you mean "lack of hats", right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred