Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50's Cagleco G-1

Burnsie

My Mom moved recently and came across (and entrusted to me) a bunch of my Dad's Navy stuff - thought some of you might dig this stuff (especially the jacket! Flight log indicates it was issued to him in June of '59)
IMG_0562.jpg

Dad was my size - 42...how can I not love that the jacket fits!!! (that's also his Gladiators cap)
IMG_0577.jpg

Here's the G-1 with his flight logs, yearbooks and a couple "novelties" he saved from Nam
IMG_0571.jpg

Last but not least, coffee anyone?
IMG_0568.jpg

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Wow!

What a grouping! Cags are my favorite 7823 (AER) G-1s, they fit me perfectly. I had a super nice one some time ago, all patched up just like yours and ended selling it. I would have never worn it around so I decided to let it go. It was a wonderful jacket nonetheless.

CIMG3754.jpg

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
hoW coooL is that!

i love watches, have a watch website...one day i dug up my dad's old watch to see what it was, and found it was an eterna automatic made the year i was born...a watch on a par with omega...i love wearing it...

i can only imagine finding something like my pop's g-1, and having it be the right size to wear...it looks great on you, and it can't get much more authentic...

it's great to wear something of your parents' that not only means something to you, but works as something you'd have worn anyway

congratS!

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
That is awesome!

Beautiful G-1! It makes it even better that it belonged to your Dad and it has history. Nice to see that the log books have not changed in 40 years, the ones issued today are identical.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I echoe Johnny's sentiiments...

It's 'the best' when you can wear a family heirloom like that with so much history behind it and enjoy wearing it just because 'it's a classic piece!!' :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
Jacket looks great. The Navy jackets I find fascinating when you see them, due to the tradition of keeping all their postings' patches on them - gives a real sense of the jacket's history.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Not anymore

The tradition of "patching up" a jacket in the Navy is gone. Navy regs say they can only have name tag, squadron patch and an American flag. Although, this rule is broken quite a bit. It is very rare to see a jacket with patches like the old days.

Burnsie

That's a shame - they obviously give a lot of character and personalize the jackets - my Dad had a shoebox full of additional patches that he was going to put on this jacket "someday", but he never got around to it. My Mom still has those. Here's a couple detail shots of the patches that are on the jacket:
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg

fraazierjo

New in Town
Your G-1

Classic jacket! Almost identical to the best one I have - down to the decals and the era. Actually, mine's older. It was worn by a pilot in the 195th Marine Night Fighter Squadron in Korea. Also has the Korean coins hanging on the thong of the zipper and the pilot's name and rank (Colonal) on the great golden wings leather patch. Look's almost as sharp on me as yours does on you. Feels and smells great, too! What do you think about the leather jock jacket on my avatar?

South9407

New in Town
Great Jacket

Very nice Cagleco Burnsie, and even better to have your father's history to go along with it! I have a Cagleco on the way that looks allot like your pop's. No patches though. I am former Army but wanted to go into the Navy just like all the other guys did when Top Gun came out. I have collected many G-1's over the years but I am especially excited about getting this one. Cagleco was one of the better contractors back then.
If you don't mind, do you mind sending me what the inside label reads on your father's jacket? I want to compare it to mine when I get it so I might be able to get a manufacture date on mine. Thank you!
Glenn

South9407

New in Town
Thanks Jeff. I saw where he hadn't been on in a while. Maybe you can help. I am new on here obviously, and I'm still trying to work my way around. I'm still not sure how to post pics. I am a leather jacket collector (WWII to Vietnam) and I recently purchased a Cagleco G-1 from eBay. It literally looks as if I just took it out of the box from 1950's uniform supply room. Upon close examination, I found J G Miller VW-1. Would you know any way to trace history on the jacket by having that name? I feel like I found a very rare find. I've been collecting these jackets for a while and this one looks perfect. No patches have ever been on the jacket btw. Thanks for your earlier reply, and thanks for your help if possible.
Glenn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo