Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

61 stars removed from Walk of Fame

61 stars removed from Walk of Fame

LOS ANGELES - It's another story of stoned celebrities in rehab. Only these are real stars.

Sixty-one stars from the Hollywood Walk of Fame — including those of Charlton Heston, Cary Grant, Clark Gable and Frank Sinatra — have been removed and stored while a $500-million hotel-shopping-housing project is built on Vine Street near Hollywood Boulevard.

Eight of the terrazzo star squares crumbled as they were removed from the walkway.

"We saved the brass. They'll be rebuilt," said Tim Maxwell, project manager for Webcor Builders, which is involved in the construction project.

The stars were placed in a secure warehouse, where they'll remain until the project is completed in 2009.

The removal of the stars and the closure of a half-block near the famous intersection of Hollywood and Vine has angered some people.

"This was done for a private developer. This was not done for the public's interest, like when the stars were removed back in the '90s for the Metro Red Line (subway) construction," said John Walsh, a longtime Hollywood activist. "Closing down sidewalks for years at a time like they do here would never happen in New York City."

The sidewalk needed reconstruction because it was improperly sloped and didn't meet federal requirements for providing access for wheelchairs, said Ken Summers, project director for Webcor Builders. The new sidewalk will be flatter, he said.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, you Mighty and despair!

Midnight Palace said:
LOS ANGELES - It's another story of stoned celebrities in rehab.
lol lol​
Midnight Palace said:
Sixty-one stars from the Hollywood Walk of Fame — including those of Charlton Heston, Cary Grant, Clark Gable and Frank Sinatra — have been removed and stored
[bad] [bad] :mad:
Midnight Palace said:
Eight of the terrazzo star squares crumbled as they were removed
:rage: [bad] :rage: [bad]:rage:​
Midnight Palace said:
We saved the brass

"Nothing besides remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."
Ozymandias
- Percy Bysshe Shelley

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
The contruction is reaching the edge of the sidewalk. There's not only no stars on it but no sidewalk either.

If you want to read a story of thieves, here's one

His isn't the only one that has been stolen.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
All dastardly deeds aside, it would be pretty awesome to own a star that's been on the walk of fame. If they ever do retire them they should auction them off, I bet they'd gather a pretty penny. Come to think of it, wouldn't they have to replace those stars at some point anyway? Normal wear and tear has got to take its toll on the brass over time.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I think a lot of people would be angry if they sold off the stars. I doubt a person with even a middle class job would be able to afford one. It's also one of those things about Hollywood that makes it Hollywood and people visit there to see such things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy