Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7 3/8 Vintage Fedoras Sale!

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Gray Dobbs 20 Fedora 7 3/8 (fits big), vintage late 50s early 60s (click the orange text for the link!)

Check out this gem! You're looking at a late 50s/early 60s Dobbs 20 in a dark gray. The just-wide enough brim sports a fantastic cavanagh edge, giving the hat a classic look, and its dimensions speak to the tail end of the golden age of hats. You can easily imagine a member of the Rat Pack or one of Don Draper's Mad Men in this great lid. The hat came to me with a sad black ribbon, no liner, and a sweatband that was at the end of its life, so I sent it off to Black Sheep Hat Works for some TLC. You can see the results in the brand-new Ostrich leather sweat, the fun paisley liner, and the smooth espresso-colored ribbon with a chevron-style bow. The feather just adds a little pop. I'll ship the hat with the original sweatband to keep the provenance certain; see the pictures for an in-situ shot.

The hat was originally a 7 3/8; it fits a little bigger than that after the refurb from Black Sheep. With no smells, stains, or moths bites and having been cleaned just a few months back, this hat is the perfect addition to any collection. Don't let it slip away!

Crown: 5"
Brim: 2 1/4" front-back, 2 3/8" side-to-side
Ribbon: 2"
Head opening: 7" by 8 1/2"

Note: I do not own a hat circumferencing tool, and so I'm not offering a circumference measurement.

Gray Royal Stetson Pork Pie Fedora 7 3/8, vintage late 50s early 60s porkpie (click the orange text for the link!)

Pork Pie fedoras--makes you think of Frank Lloyd Wright or Gene Hackman in The French Connection. And what would jazz be without a few cats in pork pie hats? The timeless style and flare of this style of hat even captured the eye of the infamous Walter White as his alter-ego Heisenberg.

Now you can own a great example of a vintage pork pie. Not only does this hat sport the right look, it sports the right name--that's right, this is a Royal Stetson Pork Pie. You get Stetson quality from the late 50s in an inimitable style. It's a versatile gray hat with a classic wide black-ribbon--and just check out that back bow.

The sweatband needs some TLC, that's for sure; it's got some deep creases in it, although they've not torn through, nor are they cracks. With a little care, this sweat can last--or you can have it replaced so you can conserve the original sweat. Your call. There are no stains or moth bites on this hat. Get this lid on your head!

Crown: 4"
Brim: 2"
Ribbon: 2 1/4"
Head opening: 8 1/8" by 6 7/8"

Note: I do not own a hat circumferencing tool, and so I'm not offering a circumference measurement.

Olive green Knox 20 Fedora 7 3/8, vintage 50s With Box (click the orange text for the link!) UPDATE: this hat also fits a little large, more like a 7 3/8 LO.

Can you get a more classic American fedora than one from the Knox Hat company? Check out this survivor--it's a Knox 20 from the mid 50s. This hat came to me from a friend who gave the hat a clean and block, and to be honest, the hat needed it. The hat had some wear in its day, as you can see from the discoloration on the back crown of the hat, and there are some places where a little spotting is in evidence. I like to think of these as character marks, showing that this fine hat was loved and worn by its owner.

And it is a fine hat! The olive green felt is thick yet surprisingly light, and the cavanagh edge shows that this hat was top-of-the-line in its day. Its original taupe ribbon is still on, and it looks great. All around, this hat has a lot of life in it. It's looking for another owner to love it--and that could be you.

And not only do you get this great hat, you also score a classic Knox hat box. The box is in great shape; it has some pencil notes on from back in the day, but otherwise, it's solid. It even has the inserts!

Crown: 4 1/2"
Brim: 2 1/2"
Ribbon: 2"
Head opening: 8 1/4" x 6 3/4"

Good luck!
A

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I happen to agree, btw, about the Knox. It just happens that I have a Disney 15 in almost exactly the same color and ribbon with a cavanagh edge, and I prefer the Disney. I don't mind some overlap in my hats, but for my collection two of the the same hat is a bit too close. :)

ideaguy

One Too Many
the Dobbs is a real beauty- but my monitor shows the hat to be brown...
in the last shot, the top of the hat, it appears to be a mouse
grey; which color is it??

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
It's a good dark gray, almost a charcoal. The ribbon is a rich, brown espresso, as a point of comparison.

Monitor color differences are the bane of online sales! :)

A

Lotsahats

One Too Many
D, I'll get back to you this evening about that fit since I can't remember off the top of my head. The hat's at home, so I should have a chance to check after 8 central tonight. My memory is that it fits more like a 7 3/8 LO, so a little bigger, and the measurement is a bit bigger than a typical 7 3/8. I want to make sure before I totally commit to that, though!

Best,
Aaron

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
D, I'll get back to you this evening about that fit since I can't remember off the top of my head. The hat's at home, so I should have a chance to check after 8 central tonight. My memory is that it fits more like a 7 3/8 LO, so a little bigger, and the measurement is a bit bigger than a typical 7 3/8. I want to make sure before I totally commit to that, though!

Best,
Aaron
No worries, Aaron! :) Honestly, I can't commit to it at this point, but...you never know.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Understood and no worries.. So I was right, the hat is just a touch bigger than a typical 7 3/8, ,ore like a 7 3/8 LO. I'll update the listing!

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Sorry for the confusion--Harv was talking about an after-auction offer when I made that comment. I bought that was a bit premature while the hats were still up for sale. :)

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner