Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7th Cavalry A Company Hat/Lapel Device

Highlander

A-List Customer
I purchased this device a few years ago at a St. Louis Gun Shop. I was wondering if there is anyone here that might advise if it is "ORIGINAL" Military Issue and the time frame. Based on what I find, there are NO Reproductions, that have the screw back and pins on the ends/drags of the swords. Thanks, CavalryHatDeviceFront-vi.jpg
CavalryHatDeviceBack-vi.jpg

kampkatz

Practically Family
Highlander, I have the same hat device, I believe, which I got in an antique store in Bergen County NJ at least 45 years ago. I got it along with some other repro "Civil War era" pieces. If compared to those of the late 1800's it would be smaller. I will have to dig mine out of storage and take a closer look.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Hey, Kampkatz.. I've gotten some input from a few other sources, and the general consensus so far is an 1895 Forage Cap device. I paid $10 for mine and I think the guy thought it was a Counterfeit or Reproduction. But anyone that was going to Counterfeit would have a Civil War or Indian Wars (aka Little Big Horn era device)...

kampkatz

Practically Family
Highlander, 1895 would probably be right for originals. I also obtained a curved bugle device about the same size. I have yet to dig them out of a closet in another residence that I only get to on weekends. I will try to remember to do so this Friday, the 13th (maybe it will bring good luck).

kampkatz

Practically Family
Having located the cap devices I discovered that the cavalry piece actually has an 8 and a C in place of the 7 & A. The bugle has a 6 & B, and crossed cannon simply has an 11 over the intersection. I believe I paid $3 each for them sometime around 1970. Sorry that I have no means to photo graph and transfer to the computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21