Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

85 year old fridge still humming along

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Neat! I wish the article went into more about how long this man had owned this particular fridge, where he found/bought it, does it require any maintenance, etc.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"Vintage: GE still manufactured appliances in the US back in the 1920s."

The fact that is a caption on one of the pictures makes me more than a little sad. It's almost like "Gee, a long long time ago we used to make things in this country."

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It wouldn't do for G.E. to manufacture goods in China in the 1920s, what with civil wars and everything going on.

If it makes you feel any better, the Chinese are importing American-made disposable chopsticks, on account of the fact that the Chinese timber-reserves are so damn low, they don't have enough left to make their own.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

That little Ball Top "Scotch Yoke" machine is old, but is not as old as claimed, and is most definitely not the oldest Refrigerator in use here in the 'States.

That model (a CF, I think) was introduced in late 1934 as a 1935 model. There is one sitting one of the storage buildings down in VA. I have a working CA machine of 1933 or 1934 vintage, and a working double-door DR model, which dates between 1927 and 1932. My machine is closer to the earlier year, as it uses the composite (wood-frame) cabinet. The DR is going into the kitchen of the house that I'm currently restoring.

The Monitor Top refrigerators are legendary for their reliability, but I know of a couple of older machines in use just here in Michigan, including a 1920 or 1921 vintage Frigidaire, and a mid-1920's Kelvinator.

The Monitor Top machines require virtually no maintenence, save for occasional defrosting, and the replacement of the rubber door seals every couple of generations. The Frigidaire and Kelvinator machines, n the other hand need regular oiling, and occasionally lose belts. The GE refrigerator design is far ore advanced.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Monitor Top machines require virtually no maintenence, save for occasional defrosting, and the replacement of the rubber door seals every couple of generations. The Frigidaire and Kelvinator machines, n the other hand need regular oiling, and occasionally lose belts. The GE refrigerator design is far ore advanced.

Other manufacturers caught onto the idea of a sealed mechanism by the end of the thirties. My Kelvinator uses the "Polarsphere" unit, which, while not as visually-memorable as the Monitor Top, is just as reliable. It loses out on the efficiency count, though, because it's in the bottom of the cabinet instead of the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24