Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9 Film Noir Classics for $8!!!!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hello all,
I went to Sam Goody's today and found something interesting. They had a rack with a bunch of these different DVD sets. They had an I Love Lucy set, a Sherlock Holmes set, cult horror classics, and a few more. But what really caught my eye was the Film Noir Classics. 9 films on 3 discs, over 13 hours. Now, i'm new to the genre, so, I've never heard of ANY of these movies. They sound good though!! Here are the ones I got in the set..

-Too Late For Tears
-The Man Who Cheated Himself (with Jane Wyatt and Lee J. Cobb)
-The Stranger (directed by Orson Welles)
-Strange Love of Martha Ivers (with Barbara Stanwyck and Kirk Douglas' first on screen role)
-The Hitchhiker (directed by Ida Lupino)
-Quicksand (with Mickey Rooney)
-Detour
-The Scar
-D.O.A.

So are these any good? Or did they just scrape the bottom of the barrel and toss the findings on three discs?

The special features are pretty sweet too. There's a film noir poster gallery, a featurette about film noir, and some old classic movie trailers.

All in all, $8 was a great deal, and even if they're all terrible movies, i'm only out $8. So has anyone seen or heard of any of these? Are there any especially good/bad ones?

Gracias,
Jeremiah

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
At less than a buck a movie,........

......how could ya go wrong? :) I'm sure they all have some merit, even if they aren't all oscar winning flicks. Just the imagery in all those films is well worth the $8.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yeah, that's the way I see it. I mean, I doubt all nine of them are terrible movies. I read the synopses of each, and they all sound pretty interesting!! One in particular, The Scar, is about a convicted thief who attempts to steal the identity of a doctor that is pretty much his double. Except, the doctor has a scar. So, the thief has to scar himself to complete the image. But... the image he had of the doctor to work off of was a reverse negative, so, he scars the wrong side of his face! And thats just the synopsis on the back of the case. So, there's more???!?!?! :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I saw the same sort of deal at the local Walgreens except the movies were ten dollars each and picked over pretty good...got a Alfred Hitchcock one...can't wait to see them :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo