Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2, G-1 & M422 Repro jacket knits. Comparisons.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Gents,

I realize WW2 jacket knits came in all shape and sizes and many jackets had replacements knits by John Doe, that being said...

Regarding our top repro premium jacket makers, the likes of Goodwear, Eastman, Bill Kelso, Aero, Lost Worlds, etc...
In your opinions, who makes the best A-2 knits?
I am thinking, who's knits stay tight and hold their shape the longest?
Who's knits are the most period accurate?

I think G-1 & M422 knits could be considered separately due to them being made in a different way, ie single weave.
Am I correct?
That being the case, whos M442/G-2 knits hold their shape the best?

IMO. All of my ELC A-2's knits lost their shape pretty fast, except my B-10, its as amazing throughout as the day I bought it. Didn't have my LW, GW long enough to comment. Aeros have stood the test of time (although not as historically accurate). Not yet had a BK, can't comment.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Personally i like a bit of 'slackness' in my cuffs as the jacket gets older, a bit like the creasing in the arms etc. I just think it adds character to A2s etc. I only have an Eastman to look at but the cuffs are shot due to my wrist watch and occasional hands in the jeans pocket stance. But hey! Thats just me.
I tend to kill a jacket pretty quick while some like them like new all the time. If I bought a Goodwear I would wear it like my 1981 Aero Battersea, All the time, in all weathers in just about anyplace and doing just about anything. I dont like tight cuffs at all, though saying that I do not like them to have lost their elasticity completely so they just hang sloppy.
From my experience with originals, single weave Navy cuffs tend to loose their shape and snag easier than those on A2s.
Just a few thoughts idling away:)
John

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My GW knits (Perry A-2 and A-1) are very substantial.
Having said that, my ELC A-1 has knits that are pretty similar and not at all slack (and this jacket is worn hard).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo