Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A BCF Huckel being listed as the genuine Indiana Jones hat.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No Indeed

deanglen said:
This style looks like one I know you have, Rick, or is it very different?

dean

Sir, not at all different, not in the slightest fashion, not indeed, in thought or in word is it different .. "Barcelona" model...excepting mine is a 59 in a C crown & the rear brim snapped up...oh, and mine didn't cost 70 bucks either, eh?
Although a nice hat, this fella is on the verge of displaying predatory behavior & is engaging in outright falsehoods when he claims to not see the manufacture's name & so forth in plain sight on the sweat!
It is much like this douche that sold me one of those James Dean Stetsons from '86. He assured both me & a potential buyer in the EU, repeatedly, that this hat was a 7 3/8 or 59. I get it & it is, natch, a 58...I blasted him his feedback (tho' only a neutral) & that sorry SOB gave me my only negative feedback to date!
While on the subject, I went to our local BCF (if a 50 m. round trip can really be termed "local"... but it was a slow day) & perused their markdown hats. I came darn near to getting a black fur felt porkpie, but really, I look like an idiot init, & the only other fur felt worth looking at Mr. Dean here had already graciously nabbed for me last fall, so I left w/ nothing. But I am going to try to return before the season is up completely

Adam_H

New in Town
Yeah, what Rongoms said.

This isn't a matter of simple ignorance... ("Gee, I'm not sure what the brand is.")

This is blatant fraud: "There is simply no better hat found anywhere in the Indiana Jones fedora style... This hat is not for everyone; it is for the person who wants the finest Indiana Jones style fedora hat ever made – FEDORA HAT- the top of the line, ultimate in quality and perfection." Yadda yadda yadda.

Sure, there are some ingenuous eBay sellers out there who list an item they truly know nothing about. This character is deliberately deceiving potential bidders. Shameful.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Caveat emptor

Caveat emptor

Latin for "Let the buyer beware." The idea that buyers take responsibility for the condition of the items they purchase and should examine them before purchase. This is especially true for items that are not covered under a strict warranty.

I have been burned before on Ebay with a seller NOT knowing what it is, or how to measure, etc.

But a seller who KNOWS it is not what it is then they should be aware of:

"Caveat venditor" : Latin for "let the seller beware".

It is a counter to caveat emptor, and suggests that sellers too can be deceived in a market transaction. This forces the seller to take responsibility for the product, and discourages sellers from selling products of unreasonable quality.

This poor seller is grossly misinformed, or STUPID.

I quote: "IT IS A PERIOD FEDORA IN MINT CONDITION."

The only thing, is technically, it is a FEDORA, PERIOD. It is NOT a "PERIOD FEDORA".

If anyone wants to be fleeced by a wool fedora that doesn't even remotely resemble an Indiana Jones hat, then cough up the cash.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Just one quick note. Althought I too get steamed when I see some of the misleading or, hopefully just misinformed listings I realize that the inefficiencies in these and similar auctions is what affords us the opportunity to find good quility goods at bargain prices. As our fellow members have mentioned, it pays to be an informed consumer.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Competition

Another seller has joined the fray. Looks to be the same hat as well as the same map. This sellers price is about a forth of the first. Key words "INDIANA JONES REPLICA HAT AND MAP". As for the first seller, dishonesty will come back around one day.

Feraud

Bartender
Soon to be listed on Ebay-
I have the real Indy hat used in Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is period correct in every way. It was acquired by a friend of a former friend who worked on the set. As you can see, this hat saw real use and my reserve will reflect that fact. Good luck in bidding.
Picture2555.jpg

;)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Bud-n-Texas said:
Another seller has joined the fray. Looks to be the same hat as well as the same map. This sellers price is about a forth of the first. Key words "INDIANA JONES REPLICA HAT AND MAP". As for the first seller, dishonesty will come back around one day.

At least that hat looks something like the IJ hat. Similar color, anyways. And that second seller isn't going to such extraordinary lengths to deceive people who look at his auctions.

IJ-lookalike hats and Ebay auctions for them are a dime a dozen. No big deal. What sets this Huckel-jerk apart is the language he uses to describe his hat as the real thing, and explicitly not one of those lookalikes or fakes. This is not a case of a poor misinformed seller listing what he really thinks he has. Every word in this auction has been carefully chosen to deceive and mislead, staying as close to the edge of fraud and outright lies as possible without actually crossing it.

This person is no better than the crook selling fake Rolexes out of his trunk in a back alley--in fact he's worse, because the public generally knows that genuine Rolexes can't be had out of trunks in alleys for $25. Ebay, unfortunately, lends a little bit of legitimacy to otherwise shady "deals" by virtue of the fact that the real thing is often sold through the same medium.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Trust me

those subtle nuances did not escape me. I have quite a few brown hats, last I checked they were not IJ hats. The first jerk is a fraud, plain and simple. The majority of his sells have been for fire extinguishers, while he has sold one other Indy hat. One of the souvenir versions, but it was stamped Indiana Jones. He also has sold some "Left Behind" vids, he may have done himself well to have viewed before he sold them. He might have picked up some pointers about doing unto others. I found it curious that both sellers have the same map, maybe they were purchased at BCF as well.

Mike in Seattle

Bud-n-Texas said:
I found it curious that both sellers have the same map, maybe they were purchased at BCF as well.

It could very well be the same seller with a different account, knowing he's taking a lot of flack on the first post, or expecting to have negative feedback when the hat DOES sell. Make misleading statements just on the border of fraudulent with the second account and not worry about the feedback, planning to abandon that seller account. I've seen it more than once.

But as others post, ultimately, it's between he and the unfortunate buyer. So far, it's showing zero bids, and if you type in "Indiana Jones fedora" as the search topic, you get loads more hats that look the part. This one's not even close. Ebay doesn't care what anyone sells or claims unless it's in really bad taste or illegal. They're just the middleman, and that's their out. But I'm crossing my fingers that nobody bites. Or he ends up getting stiffed on the deal.

And most of the time, sellers are gracious about corrections and advice. I pointed out something to one seller (listed something as the wrong color of Fiestaware) and said the items were worth way more than her asking price. She relisted and emailed me later to thank me because she got over $100 on an item she would've been happy getting $5 for originally.

But this guy's a scammer and he knows it and therefore, doesn't care. It's too bad they don't list the questions asked of the seller on an auction like they used to. I'm sure his responses would've had a completely different tone. I'll hope it doesn't sell, and if it does, the buyer leaves thunderously negative feedback.

MattJH

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
It's too bad they don't list the questions asked of the seller on an auction like they used to. I'm sure his responses would've had a completely different tone.

When a seller receives a question from a potential bidder, there's is a toggle checkbox under the response that says something along the lines of "Include correspondence in your auction listing?" He has deliberately made sure this box has been unchecked throughout all of the correspondence he's received.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Along these same lines, has anyone noticed that there are what appear to be several different sellers in Bulgaria listing hats with Borsalino in the name but photos that show something else?

One photo caught my eye - it is another Huckel hat listed as a Geman made Borsalino. Perhaps they are confounding a brand name with a style of hat? The listing all have buy-it-now prices that are quite high.

Stoney

Practically Family
Wow , this item is still listed

It's difficult to believe but the ultimate Indiana Jones hat is still listed on ebay,
with no change to the item decription. Since I know that ebay has already been contacted, and does not seem to care one way or the other, I dropped the seller the following today. I'm wondering of he is going to respond at all.[huh] I'm actually looking forward to a response.

Sorry,

I think your description is inaccurate.

The fedora you are selling is not a top of the line item. It is made of wool rather than fur and there are several Indiana Jones hats available from vendors like www.adventurebuilt.com which are made of fur and accurately recreate the hat from the movies.

I'm sure that your desciption was meant to be accurate. You may want to alter the decription of the item slightly to ensure that whoever wins the auction is happy with the product.

Best of luck with your auction.

Bruce

"This hat is not for everyone; it is for the person who wants the finest Indiana Jones style fedora hat ever made – FEDORA HAT- the top of the line, ultimate in quality and perfection."

Rick Blaine

Er,

Stoney said:
...It is made of wool rather than fur ...

I have this Huckle from BCF & it is fur, albeit not the greatest but better than most entry level Stetsons I have seen in the past twenty years. It is a little low crowned (as are most of those in the current Stetson dress line) for much of the riff-raff who post here myself included, I think that is a legacy of its European heritage. At $25-$35 bucks, it is a great hat for a third to a quarter of the competition's asking price, just not for what this d*uchebag is asking... my .02

Stoney

Practically Family
Fur?

Oops,

Thanks for pointing that out Rick. I assumed it was wool from the top view in photo #3 in his auction, it looked to rough to me in the picture.
If he bothers to contact me, I'll be sure to correct the comment.
However, I doubt that he will....:eek:

BTW.. Were you able to get that crack fixed in the hat bock?

Rick Blaine

Stoney said:
.. Were you able to get that crack fixed in the hat bock?

No, not as yet, I have put one hat on it (a Stratton) last wknd. & will post a couple of pix in that thread this wknd. w/ the results. So far the crack doesn't seem to be affecting the use of the block... & I am a natural born procrastinator as well!

Regards,

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters