Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A bit of a dancing emergency...

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Not sure if this is the best spot, mods feel free to move the thread at leisure.

I am attending a black tie function in two weeks. There will be dancing, I am presuming in ballroom fashion. I would very much like to take the floor, and consider it a necessary skill for a gentleman. The rub being, my experience is really rather minimal, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to find any in-person instruction in time. Could anyone perhaps offer some hints or resources to prevent my making a fool of myself and save any stubbed feet of potential partners?

Or am I doomed? :D

Edward

Bartender
Some dance teachers do a crash course; it might be worth seeing if you have the option of learning a basic foxtrot. Otherwise, if you get up on the floor and just sort of shuffle about with a partner, you'll probably do as well as at least half your fellow attendees....

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if this is the best spot, mods feel free to move the thread at leisure.

I am attending a black tie function in two weeks. There will be dancing, I am presuming in ballroom fashion. I would very much like to take the floor, and consider it a necessary skill for a gentleman. The rub being, my experience is really rather minimal, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to find any in-person instruction in time. Could anyone perhaps offer some hints or resources to prevent my making a fool of myself and save any stubbed feet of potential partners?

Or am I doomed? :D
No, you are not doomed. On a crowded dance floor, there's little chance to show off your dance skills, most dancers will simply move around to a form of dance known as: The Social Rhythm. it's simply, step forward on your left foot, then your right, step sideways with your left foot and close your right foot to meet your left. Your partner dances the mirror version. You then repeat the move with the gentleman going backwards.
The trick is, to hold your arms high, ballroom style and don't look at your feet.

[video=youtube;GmfEezXV_Z0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmfEezXV_Z0[/video]

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn, that is really tame enough for my old knee and hip joints to perform. Piece of cake really. Now if BriarWolf really wanted to make an impression: Note the third acrobatic move, not for nothing is it known as: "The Death Dive."

[video=youtube;5mVFlVMIoe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mVFlVMIoe4[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo