Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Brillant Website

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Wow, that is neat!! Internet a la 1940's!! It has a lot of detail to it as well. It has some great tunes, too. Great find!!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Boy, that is a great website. I especially like the sniper sights and the pin-up. The transition between pages is artfully done as well. I also like the shadow of the plane flying over head, seemingly.
Thanks for posting that!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That is uber slick.

So many things can be done with Flash; it's an incredible program... I only wish I knew how to use it. I'm pretty much a strictly html guy.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Creative. And it's better than most animated websites. Usually if I see a Flash-created website, I don't even bother. Drives me nuts with all the animation, and they've always got the links hidden so cleverly that I can't find what I need. Give me a plain old html site any day. I can't imagine what the people on dial-up must think having to wait for everything to load.

Brad

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:
Creative. And it's better than most animated websites. Usually if I see a Flash-created website, I don't even bother. Drives me nuts with all the animation, and they've always got the links hidden so cleverly that I can't find what I need. Give me a plain old html site any day. I can't imagine what the people on dial-up must think having to wait for everything to load.

I'm like you. All the senseless Flash drives me nuts. Every Flash based site should have a plain HTML alternative in my opinion. Most sites are there to inform us, and information doesn't need Flash. Now if they want to offer a multimedia experience as well that's just fine, especially when it's as entertaining as this site. I found myself exploring the site just for the experience, which I suppose is some measure of success. But having to load a bunch of Flash animations to dig up a phone number or e-mail address is counterproductive.

Edit: even more so for people who surf using PDAs or laptops with mobile phone internet connections.

Edit2: another really stupid thing is when you want to highlight and copy text but isn't able to for one reason or another. Wouldn't it be reasonable for me to want to copy the address or phone number of TargetScope for instance?

Royal

New in Town
That's nifty. This doesn't have anything to do with the internet but over the last five years or so I've noticed that a number of t.v. ads have used old jazz and popular songs. I know I saw a commercial a while back with "Fly Me to the Moon" in the background. There was also an ad for a Canadian bank that had "Pennies from Heaven" in it. And probably around 10 years ago there was a Chanel No. 5 ad with Marilyn M. singing "I Wanna Be Loved By You". So somebody knows that this music hasn't gone 'out of style' yet, thankfully.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Royal, on that note real quick I'd like to ad the Chip's Ahoy cookie commercials that used "Sing, Sing, Sing" for many years. Also I did see a commercial about yogurt that used "Fit as a Fiddle" in it! So yes, the vintage music is always in these TV commercials because they're timeless!

As for the flash stuff, I hate boring sites. I like flash if it's done well. I can see how it can interfere with some things and most flash sites over do it. But this one is really cool and well done.

Cheers,

Root.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know what song that is and who sings it? Andrew Sistersmaybe?

I clicked on the NEWS link and they have just opened up an office in Plano (north of Dallas). I couldn't copy and paste the text describing the building but it sure sounds like it'd be neat to visit.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Swinggal, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Vlad, I didn't notice the change in words, then again, I couldn't hear the words very well. But, they may have.

Sorry buddy!

Root.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Anyone else notice there's a little control panel for the music in the upper right? Four choices, with a REALLY hot rendition of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. Also in there, Opus One, and Merrily We Roll Along with what sounds like Ella Fitzgerald's trademark vocal gymnastics.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The other songs are wonderful! When I first opened the site I was blown away by the music they chose--they did a very sharp overall job of tying all the elements together.

And Root--I agree! How can anyone listen to this music and not want to hit the floor dancing?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Hah! I rolled back the rug last night and did a little practicing! I need a dance partner in a bad way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran