Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Century of Progress 1933-34

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I know I've talked about it some but, haven’t gotten the chance to really post any photos of my stuff... so, here we go!

A nice grouping of my 1933-34 Chicago World's Fair "A Century Of Progress" items.

The spoon I picked up a few weeks ago at an antique mall for a few bucks, the three tie bars I accumulated over a few years. The top one I got off of ebay and is my favorite... look at the lightning bolts! The bottom one is much like the middle one but, it's from 1934 and has the three towers in place of the stern and rings. Then an American Legion metal I found in a thrift shop.

lounge2yc5.jpg

Now, a felt O.S. styled cap...

lounge3be5.jpg

lounge4bx0.jpg

I'd love to see all the 33-34 Chicago Century of Progress that any other members may have!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
BellyTank said:
My big brother collects Worlds Fair stuff- but here isn't a Lounger.

B
T

Well, he should be a lounger! I’d love to see some of his collection!

green papaya said:
I just saw this large bronze Chicago exposition 1933 medallion at the antique shop for $10

do you think it's a good price?

Chicago%20Expo%20Dou.jpg

Wow, that's really cool! I'd buy it for $20.00! Yeah, $10. is a good price!!!

Thanks for sharing!

=WR=

green papaya

One Too Many
just picked it up for $10

I just rushed back to the antique shop about 30 minutes ago and bought it! Im glad I went back before somebody else bought it, they also had a match case and a make up box [compact] with Chicago world's Exposition 1933 markings

8b784388.jpg

here it is the actual medallion

1833 - 1933

Wild Root

Gone Home
Congrats! Now, you'll be looking for more I'm sure! My first "World’s Fair" item was the 1934 Chicago Century of Progress tie bar I have pictured... I got that for $10 bucks from a vintage dealer friend of mine back in 1997.

Since then, I've gotten the items you see here... I pick things up when I find them for a good price.

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
This is a collar bar from the '33 Chicago World's Fair. As you probably know, it clips onto a shirt collar's flaps, pulling them toward each other under the tie's knot. Anyway, check out the detail on this beauty. Made of chromed brass, it has the fair's logo on both ends.

shoos004_edited-1.jpg

shoos005_edited-1.jpg

shoos010.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Quigley, I've got the pin in the middle left of your picture ... and I seriously WANT the tie bar at the bottom of your picture! :)

I'm sorry...that tie bar is my favorite of all the ones I have. It's the only tie bar I've seen with that little 'roller' on it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc, your camera is different then the one I use... I couldn't figure out how to set it to focus on small things... not happy.:(

Mr. Brown, I don't blame you in not wishing to sell that tie bar... it is really an amazing item!

=WR=

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Wild Root, does your camera have what is called a macro setting? My Kodak has a flower symbol. I use this for close up photos.

I have a little Canon digital Elph with a macro setting (tulip symbol). It does a great job on close ups.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Here's a few more items I scrounged up. Notice the one is from the 1934 Chicago fair. On the bottom left is from the 1939 Golden Gate Expo in San Francisco. Above that is the Hall of Science from 1933. They're pretty beat up.

1933-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy