Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Classic Boys From Marketing Pitch

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Gent's cologne and nicotine are another lethal combination. I had a boss in the '80s who reeked of Camel filters and Ralph Lauren's "Polo." They called it "Polo" because it smelled like something bouncing around under a horse.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Gent's cologne and nicotine are another lethal combination. I had a boss in the '80s who reeked of Camel filters and Ralph Lauren's "Polo." They called it "Polo" because it smelled like something bouncing around under a horse.

Polo thinks you are tops, but now his feelings are hurt ! :(

dr2wqs.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Polo should sue Mr. Lauren for egregious violation of his personal copyright. Cats always win court cases.

Good to know that .

Also Polo & I or is it Polo & me ?

Anyway...we learned a new word,... "egregious".
Thank You

Seriously : you are a wealth of information.
Here's hoping you find that "dag-blasted" clanking noise on your :car: this Sunday !

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Yep, she started in ventriloquism as a kid in the thirties, around the time Charlie McCarthy was a fad, and dabbled a bit in radio herself before going into TV in the late 40s. Later retired from show biz to become a doctor, of all things. I don't believe she was ever sponsored by a toilet paper firm.

I did, speaking of which, finally remember the brand name of the splintery cheap paper we had at the gas station. It was called "Mosinee," the same company that manufactured those cheap red paper multifold towels for the windshield-washer dispenser.

I remember getting a photo of some cousin's kid sent by her proud grandma. She was on a horse in her little cowgirl outfit, so naturally, her nomme de guerre in our house became "Judy Splinters."

Mosinee is a small town in Wisconsin just south of Wausau on the road to Stevens Point. Big paper mill area, so we can presume that's where the paper came from.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Next time you go to a restaurant, food stand or truck, or fast-food joint that uses those brown paper table-top dispenser napkins -- "Torx" brand or something similar -- take a good look at one. I have several on my desk right now that came with a takeout fish-and-chips supper the other night. When I unfold one and shine a flashlight thru the opposite side, I can see -- splinters. Not large or thick or especially easy to see, but they are unmistakably splinters and they are unmistakably there.

"We've come so far."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Next time you go to a restaurant, food stand or truck, or fast-food joint that uses those brown paper table-top dispenser napkins -- "Torx" brand or something similar -- take a good look at one. I have several on my desk right now that came with a takeout fish-and-chips supper the other night. When I unfold one and shine a flashlight thru the opposite side, I can see -- splinters. Not large or thick or especially easy to see, but they are unmistakably splinters and they are unmistakably there.

"We've come so far."

Polo & I were curious... how far have you come in determining what is causing the clanking noise on the Plodge [huh]

"We've come so far."

Holy Crimony! Next time I get one I will check it out. I have never gotten a splinter from one yet though. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran