Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Classic Boys From Marketing Pitch

I've never been more convinced that I need splinterless toilet paper. What next? Non-shatter toilet seats? Non-exploding soap? Bleach-free toothpaste!? You Americans have it all :p

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

We don't have a bidet. :p

filou-bidet.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That splintery ad, by the way, won the Worst Ad of 1938 award from Consumers' Union, an organization founded in 1936 specifically to knock the pins out from under the Boys From Marketing. It continues that fine work today.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Joking aside, millions have died from poor hygiene and continue to do so today. If the Boys from Marketing are responsible for making the population healthier and less smelly maybe they aren't all bad.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
That splintery ad, by the way, won the Worst Ad of 1938 award from Consumers' Union, an organization founded in 1936 specifically to knock the pins out from under the Boys From Marketing. It continues that fine work today.

Free association time: Ever hear of an early kids' television host named Shirley Dimsdale? She had a ventriloquist's dummy named "Judy Splinters." Judy was a cowgirl type character, and I don't think that bathroom tissue had anything to do with the show.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, she started in ventriloquism as a kid in the thirties, around the time Charlie McCarthy was a fad, and dabbled a bit in radio herself before going into TV in the late 40s. Later retired from show biz to become a doctor, of all things. I don't believe she was ever sponsored by a toilet paper firm.

I did, speaking of which, finally remember the brand name of the splintery cheap paper we had at the gas station. It was called "Mosinee," the same company that manufactured those cheap red paper multifold towels for the windshield-washer dispenser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran