Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of quick thougts

barrowjh

One Too Many
If I snap the brim down to my chin, and turn my face into the shadow, hey, looks good!

just kidding. I have used those rules to help myself understand why certain hat types do not work for me. I have a longish face, maybe a bit top-heavy with the receding hairline, so a slight taper w/brim snapped full across the face, and tilted, is about as good as it is going to get for me. None of the 'off the face' styles work, though I have tried just about every thing. I have bowlers in black, brown, and green, hombergs in black, grey, and brown, and have tried the full-kettle-curl brim western styles and a mostly flat brim western style, all within my collection sitting in boxes downstairs, and all of them bomb for me. For hat crowns that do not have much taper (or none) the double tear-drop / C-crown helps pull extra felt in from the sides of the crown to 'disappear' and can actually create a slight taper and keep the overall crown height towards medium height, which is better for me. That is why I shape almost all of my hats that way instead of, say, the cattleman crease, which is more square-ish.

Flat western look -
071310009.jpg

Kettle-curl brim-
Picture70.jpg

Brown Lee bowler -
041709013.jpg

Bailed-Out Banker, for a halloween hash run -
DSC00760.jpg

facing into the light :D
Picture53-1.jpg

Yup, that's better -
Picture76.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
bobm, the last hat is a Resistol San Antonio (an OR clone). The clear plastic tip liner means it was made after the mid-1950s, and I suspect it was made before the 1970s, but cannot pin it any closer than that.

Picture80.jpg

Picture78.jpg

Picture77.jpg

Picture81.jpg

For quite a few of us here Resistol is just as desirable for wearing as any Stetson, though Stetson will always have greater name recognition for resale.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran