Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fast food rant

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
God I ate lunch and sometimes other meals out for like 25 years and that is truly tiring. I've seen the special deals come and go. The temporararily featured sandwich is a staple of the industry with the "limited time offer" mentality.

Frankly you get tired of everything and every place that hawks their semi-digestable wares. Sometimes there is just too much junk on a place's menu. Sometimes it seems not enough to keep you from repeatedly buy the same hogfoot combo 3 times a week. Only a handfull of places on the planet can produce edible fries and all the rest becomes a blur of sides and condements producing gas which can head for escape at either of your extremities.

The last time I ate McDonalds was probably 25 years ago when the bun smelled so much like chemicals I couldn't get past that to eat the crummy meat.

I eat a bacon cheeseburger with big fat non-greasy fries from a non-chain once a week. Never order anything else. Don't know or care if they have any temporary non-menued junk.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I eat fast food about once a week and don't have a problem with it. For the time and money it costs, it's a great deal. I just don't care if they ask me whether I also want fries or a drink. As for the employees, show me five U.S. born adults who applied for any of those jobs.

What I don't like is Safeway checkers asking me to donate to the cancer fund.

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
As for the employees, show me five U.S. born adults who applied for any of those jobs.

Oh, I expect there are several US born adults who applied, and are a bit put out that they weren't chosen for the positions.

Twitch - I don't know that I've ever observed the Non-Greasy Fries phenomenon! I admit I do pay attention to the special limited time items at McDonald's ... but only the milkshakes. I wish they *always* had a mint milkshake!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Employees (A Little Off Topic)

I only know what my brother tells me. He owned a business (in construction, granted, not fast food) and Mexicans were all he could hire, aside from one Bulgarian woman. He'd have preferred to hire people who could speak English and knew the laws and customs of the land. Nevertheless, he said they were a good crew--they were better employees than either of his *grown* sons.

Undertow

Viola said:
Haha, dostacos, I probably should have.

I remember one time at a small little non-chain hoagie place I got my sandwich order...messed up somehow (I was the only one there, I dunno how it happened) but I just told the guy I was so sorry but I'd ordered turkey and I just can't eat tuna, and he was like "...you did say turkey, I dunno what happened -" turned away to the kitchen and howled "TONY YOU DUMB @$*! the girl didn't want any %@%! TUNA, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING BACK THERE!"

I was like "...thank you?"

lol

Haha! Now that's great! In a sick sort of way, I wish I could have been there to root him on.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
I no longer do fast food.
Its my own fault for reading the sodium levels that were listed in a MacDonalds a number of years ago. Mega levels in the burgers.
And stay away from the shake. I understand that it is totally synthetic and I believe it. There is no mention of ice cream or milk and it is just advertised as a "shake". And the ice cream cone is advertised as just that, an ice cream CONE. They don't sell ice cream, they sell an ice cream CONE.
Thank me later.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
On-Topic: Vintage Electronics

I have a little different take on the communication problems at fast food drive-throughs. Of course, I've had my difficulties with non-native speakers, as well as intellectually-challenged native speakers. But that's not my favorite rant.

There's much to like about the vintage styles and technologies that we come here to discuss. But the noisy, scratchy, tube amplifiers of vintage PA systems are best kept in the past tense. Why do seemingly all of the fast food chains use the worst possible communication technology at their drive-ups? Even when the person taking my order speaks impeccable English, I understand no more than half of what they say--and vice versa--because of poor audio fidelity.

I'm sure the most profitable restaurants in this country could afford better, more modern electronics, at least as recent as 1980s, solid state.

Elaina

One Too Many
I was a McManager until I got shot.

I was the hiring and training manager, and I speak spanish as a by product of my McCareer time there. During my time I got exactly 7 US born adults that applied. I was only allowed to hire 2 of them due to EOE and company policy (no felons, job history, etc.). Intelligence didn't enter into it, because I hired what had to be the stupidest woman on the planet.

In all fairness, now, my kids were pretty good. I had a couple that didn't want to work, and I sent them home as soon as I possibly could. I had enough of them that wanted to work or had to work, and I spent a ton of time at their schools, houses (or mine. I had one of them living with me for a while). I had rival gang members working together, and I had kids that most people would walk across the street to avoid working there. Part of the problem is the managers don't do any work, and as a result, the employees don't do any work if they can get away with it.

Unfortunately, most of the smart kids or kids that people won't complain about don't go out and get jobs. The advertisement isn't decided on at anything but a corporate level (and other then the fact I had to put it up, I couldn't tell you when I was working what we were pushing.)

One thing tho. Out of the 5 that are in my area 2 cater to the McKids, and the rest to the McGrumps. One doesn't even HAVE happy meals, pseudo-ice cream stuff or highchairs.

Undertow

Regarding sodium content in burgers: take a look at the chicken sandwiches! :eek:

I LOVE McDonald's chicken strips, sandwhiches, wraps, etc. until I noticed one day that the chicken has a higher sodium and fat content than the burgers. Quite disappointing.

So I stopped eating there.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Faster, farther, and fatter: a fable

Once upon a time, in the land just like this one, an automobile was built. The people were very happy. "Look at us," said the people, "we can go and come from places faster." But that was not enough for the roads were rutted and empty of care when automobiles needed repair.

Once upon a time, in a land with automobiles just like this one, a highway was laid. The people were very happy. "Look at us," they exclaimed, "we can go to and come from farther places faster." But that was not enough for the highways were long and there was still no care when automobiles needed repair.

Once upon a time, in a land with automobiles and highways just like this one, stations sprang up alongside highways with gasoline and air. The people were happy. "Look at us," they called out, "we can go to and come from all the way over there only stopping for gasoline and air." But that was not enough for the highways were long when people wanted to repair their hair, stretch out their derrieres, or sit and share even the simplest fare that hunger can make a feast.

Once upon a time, in a land with automobiles, highways, and stations for gasoline and air just like this one, stainless steel diners with Formica and bottomless cups set themselves down with wide smooth spaces for automobiles to abide. The people were happy. "Look at us," they smiled, "we can go and come all over stopping only for food and gas." But that was not enough for the diners waited: waited for each to decide what to eat, waited for food to be prepared, waited for each course to be savored before the next was there, waited for the main course to be served to everyone at once, waited to be sure everyone was replete, and waited for other people to decide what to eat.

Once upon a time, in a land just like this one with automobiles and highways and stations and diners, a smelted flat grill was imprisoned before a production line that mindlessly assembled the fast fried phony food in billowy buns from early morning of day through late mourning of night. The people were happy. "Look at us," their refrain, "we can go to and come from everywhere farther, faster, and fatter each way any time of night and day!"

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yah, I know it's part of the job.. what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be. It's irritating. I've worked fast food too.
I think asking if that is all, or if you would like anything else is fine. But having to ask specifically if they'd like a certain item is annoying. If I wanted cheesy fries, I would've ordered cheesy fries.

The upselling is getting rediculous everywhere you go. Esp. with trying to get you to apply for their store credit card at the mall and such.
Nikki

pretty faythe said:
Having been said fast food worker a bazillion years ago, its part of the job, its the "up selling". Trying to get another sale in, just like when your at 7/11 or the grocery store and they ask you if you'd like anything else. Personally I always hated doing it, but I know where they are coming from and just say a polite "no thank you" knowing that they are just doing their job.

Elaina

One Too Many
ohairas said:
But having to ask specifically if they'd like a certain item is annoying. If I wanted cheesy fries, I would've ordered cheesy fries.

Nikki

I order what I wanted the first time as well, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people you ask "Would you like to add such and such to your order" results in that item being placed.

And as long as people don't think for themselves this will continue.

texasgirl

One Too Many
ohairas said:
The upselling is getting rediculous everywhere you go. Esp. with trying to get you to apply for their store credit card at the mall and such.
Nikki

I used to get written up at Foley's and Macy's because I would not ask people if they wanted a credit card. I figured people knew we had them, and they'd get one if they wanted one. Then they started giving a bonus for every credit application. I think it was $5. I still wouldn't ask, and I still got in trouble.

Twitch

Folks, you have to realize that when the fast food people ask you if you want something else like their new curly fries or turnip rings they are suggestively selling. It's no different that going to your home repair place where you buy a toilet rebuild kit and the guy asks if you need some teflon tape or plummers putty.

Both are doing two things- trying to boost the size of the sale some and to make sure you're getting all you want and need.

I can't tell you the number of times I've purchased material to do something on my car or around the house and the dumbazz schmuck in the store didn't suggestively ask if I needed some ingredient associated with the job I stated I was doing. Do you know how pissed you can be when you are full of car grease and dirt and have to half clean up in order to drive to a parts store for a gasket or gasket sealer?

Suggestive additional selling is normal, everyday stuff. If it only bothers you at fast food places it seems strange.

"But wait if you send in another $2.95 we'll double your order of Butt Fluff hemoroid cream and include this handy dandy applicator....."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters