Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Shall we say two o'clock?"

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
So sayeth Dr. Max Debryn of the Masterpiece Mystery series Endeavour. Endeavour is a mystery series about a fledgling policeman in England. It is currently in its final season (9) and has but three 90 minute episodes. One of the main characters is Endeavour Morse, a rookie copper who is very intelligent beyond his experience. This series is actually the third of three linked series including Inspector Morse and Inspector Lewis.

If you are interested in good acting, beautiful scenery and well-written episodes these three are worth the time to watch. You can find them at Amazon Prime TV on Masterpiece, BBC and/or Acorn TV. All are subscriptions, but not very expensive.

Inspector Morse is Endeavour Morse in the elderly stages of life. The Inspector Lewis series was created after the actor who played elderly Morse died and then Detective Sargent Lewis was Morse's partner.

After the Inspector Lewis ended, Endeavour was created to show us the backstory of Inspector Morse.

These are great fun to watch and try to figure out who the actual criminals were in each episode.

Since I am such a fan of British Mystery series, another I would recommend is Midsommer Murders. But buckle up, because it has been on for over 20 seasons and there are a LOT of episodes to watch. Much like the Morse and Lewis series, the acting is excellent, the scenery is beautiful and the stories are superb.

There is not a lot of blowing things up, massive car chases and gun battles in these shows. They are not action shows, but mysteries, and you have to pay close attention to follow the story lines and keep up with the characters. It is a mental exercise, but a worthwhile one.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
So sayeth Dr. Max Debryn of the Masterpiece Mystery series Endeavour. Endeavour is a mystery series about a fledgling policeman in England. It is currently in its final season (9) and has but three 90 minute episodes. One of the main characters is Endeavour Morse, a rookie copper who is very intelligent beyond his experience. This series is actually the third of three linked series including Inspector Morse and Inspector Lewis.

If you are interested in good acting, beautiful scenery and well-written episodes these three are worth the time to watch. You can find them at Amazon Prime TV on Masterpiece, BBC and/or Acorn TV. All are subscriptions, but not very expensive.

Inspector Morse is Endeavour Morse in the elderly stages of life. The Inspector Lewis series was created after the actor who played elderly Morse died and then Detective Sargent Lewis was Morse's partner.

After the Inspector Lewis ended, Endeavour was created to show us the backstory of Inspector Morse.

These are great fun to watch and try to figure out who the actual criminals were in each episode.

Since I am such a fan of British Mystery series, another I would recommend is Midsommer Murders. But buckle up, because it has been on for over 20 seasons and there are a LOT of episodes to watch. Much like the Morse and Lewis series, the acting is excellent, the scenery is beautiful and the stories are superb.

There is not a lot of blowing things up, massive car chases and gun battles in these shows. They are not action shows, but mysteries, and you have to pay close attention to follow the story lines and keep up with the characters. It is a mental exercise, but a worthwhile one.
Glad that you enjoy them. Going back some years when John Thaw portrayed Inspector Morse, my wife and I were somewhere in the back of beyond in open country travelling from Chattanooga to Memphis. We stopped off at a small roadside cafe. Our waitress kept coming back to our table time and again. She had overheard our English accents. The lady was an avid Morse fan. It made us smile when she said that she thought that all the murders that happened in the UK, happened in Oxford.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Colin Dexter, a prolific author, wrote thirteen Inspector Morse novels. If you click on Wiki, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Dexter they are listed there, along with the rest of his work. You can also learn a little about Dexter and what a fascinating man he was.

So glad that you enjoyed the "Endeavour" prequel, I have to say that I too, am a big fan of the Morse character. Shaun Evans played the part perfectly, it's addictive viewing.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Last week I watched the last Endeavour. Did anyone else notice the reference to a police trainee named Lewis in New Castle who was the cousin of one of the victims in this episode?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Embarrassed that I am not conversant with all three superb series but merely aware of them.
You could always read Colin Dexter's 13 acclaimed mystery novels featuring the erudite and curmudgeonly Chief Inspector Morse; the novels inspired the popular British television series Inspector Morse. The books are so, "un-put-down-able," what a riveting read they are.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I have placed Morse on my list thanks. If HBO hadn't thumbs downed Perry Mason I probably would be
more keen on current fare but decided now to focus on the done deal past tense so not to be so bitterly
disappointed by cancellation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner