Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora by any other name...

shamus

Suspended
A thread in suits about the fedora made me look into the fedora and what I found what might be an interesting idea to some.

The question is What is a Fedora? I checked three on-line dictionaries and found 3 different answers.

Merriam Websters definition is:
a low soft felt hat with the crown creased lengthwise

American Heritage definition is:
A soft felt hat with a fairly low crown creased lengthwise and a brim that can be turned up or down

While the cambridge is
a man's hat, like a trilby but with a wider brim
(triby): a man's hat made of felt (= thick firm cloth), with a deep fold along its top

So a Homberg fits all three, but what about my Open Road? It did when I bought it, but now it doesn't have a crease lenghtwise.. what is it now?

Does a 30's hat with a tall crown, make it not a fedora because it doesn't have a low crown?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
shamus said:
Does a 30's hat with a tall crown, make it not a fedora because it doesn't have a low crown?
"Low" is a relative term. A 6" crown in a low crown compared to a Pre-Civil War top hat or a tri-corn, or whatever those hats that Napolean wore were!

Great thoughts, Shamus. I think this group could write a better definition than these dictionaries.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I understand the name Fedora was the leading character of a play in the 1880s. Actress Sarah Bernhardt played the title role. The author was Victorien Sardou (b. 1831, d. 1908) [This has been previously noted in a Fedora Lounge Forum.]

A quick web search reveals that "Fedora" is derived from "Theodora", and means "gift from God." There is another, similar derivative, "Pheodora".

shamus

Suspended
John in Covina said:
Does this mean that those hats with c-crowns or the teardrop shape ARE NOT fedoras?!!!!!!

Technicality, according to the dictionary... yes, they're not Fedoras Just hats I guess?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari