Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora Moment

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
...so I was at the airport minding my own business, when I noticed a guy wearing a fedora. It looked like a decent lid. Upon closer inspection it looked to be an Indy hat.

He looked like a decent guy, so I made my way over to him while he and his lady friend were deciding what to order at the coffee stand and in an off handed manner I said "nice hat". The fellow said "thanks. This hat has been all over the world with me."

"Akubra?", I inquired. He gave me a funny look and said "why..yes...actually."

"It looks like it might be a Federation" , I stated.

For this comment I recieved a bewildered look of amazement which confirmed my guess. He and his lady friend exchanged puzzled looks. They were looking at me like I was Rod Serling in a Twilight Zone episode.

It was at this point I removed a Fedora Lounge card from somewhere within my coat and said in a calm, cool voice, "Stop by. There are a lot of guys there who like hats". He introduced himself, shook my hand and said thanks.

Then I turned and walked off into the night.

Spreading the word...one guy at a time.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
When I was in Mexico a couple weeks ago, a Mexican gentleman stopped me and complimented me on my AdventureBilt fedora. He fondly talked of how it reminded him of the Stetsons his father used to wear long ago. All around the globe, a good hat has the ability to start conversations and extend the hand of friendship.

bink

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh and MK, I'm surprised you didn't stick around long enough to find out if he was on Indygear, although I have a strong suspicion if he was, he'd recognize you, unless he was an occasional lurker or new member.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
It was a wonderful trip! I hope to go back again. You wouldn't believe how many Mexicans off the street wanted to buy my hat!

That happened to me in Taiwan a few months ago. I was walking home from school and a security guard asked me how much I wanted for the hat (Federation). I told him I wouldn't part with it for less than $50. So sad that people won't spend money on a quality hat, unless it has an Abercrombie or Von Dutch logo on it...

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
ITG said:
bink, did you get to hook up with Shane in Mexico? (Since COW is down we aren't able to read about the adventures of y'all's trip?)

Hi, ITG! Good to see another pretty face around here! ;)

Why, yes I did get to hook up with Shane. We were unable to visit Chichen-Itza together, but we met for dinner the night before he and his family flew back. He's a good kid. You can tell he's got a heart of gold. I have a pic (though poor lighting) of him wearing my Wested goatskin. It was pretty funny to see a skinny kid swimming around in that jacket!

And Ghos7a55assin, to one of the guys on the street who wanted to buy my hat off me, I told him he didn't have enough pesos to make me part with it.

bink

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Shane was telling me about Mexico the other night (well, day in Cali). Sounds like you guys had a blast. Apparently he went in Cairo street gear. I think he just received his Cotton Wested after asking me for a bit of sizing advice (we have almost the exact same measurements)

Ray

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
It was pretty funny judging the looks from several people who were trying to figure out why two guys were dressed like Indiana Jones.... Shane had hoped his cotton Wested would have arrived in time to take on the trip, but it apparently arrived the day he left (or maybe the day before, I can't recall exactly). I do remember him saying that the package was waiting for him upon his return home. When I shared my stories with my wife when I got back to the States (she was unable to travel with me) she thought it was humourous that a 34 year old man went to meet up with a 15 year old. The things we do for our hobbies, eh? :rolleyes:

bink

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic