Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fine kettle I've gotten myself into...

griffer

Practically Family
You guys have been great!

Renee, my wife really loves the English tea kettle in chrome (she found it seperately on another site) while I am drawn to the Revere. This is a TRULY rare moment when my wife advocates for the VERY expensive $100+ item when I am happy with the $15. Very strange indeed; my usual formula is the more expensive the better it is, right? ;-)

Tango Yankee, as for the electric, after looking at our counter tops and all the various gadgets, we decided it would be proverbial straw to have another appliance, and we like the ol' kettle on the gas range... That and I didn't see a design, even from Bodum, that made me excited.

But I have GOT to know, Haversack, what is copper poisoning? What are it's symptoms?

Haversack

One Too Many
griffer asked: "But I have GOT to know, Haversack, what is copper poisoning? What are it's symptoms?"

Well in my case, it was gastric pain and diarrhea about 15-30 minutes after drinking coffee or tea, and a lingering metallic taste at the back of my mouth. There can be other and worse symptoms depending on dose, time, age, and health. As long as it is caught before one's internal organs are damaged through heavy metal contamination, copper poisoning is rarely fatal.

Haversack.
(who still has a fondness for Revereware.)

Renee

Familiar Face
griffer said:
Renee, my wife really loves the English tea kettle in chrome (she found it seperately on another site) while I am drawn to the Revere. This is a TRULY rare moment when my wife advocates for the VERY expensive $100+ item when I am happy with the $15. Very strange indeed; my usual formula is the more expensive the better it is, right? ;-)

Well, I know I'm biased ;) , but I think the English tea kettle is much nicer looking than the Revere one. And after all, isn't the FL about combining style with function? LOL

Lonn

Familiar Face
I love it here

Hi,
I grew up with a revereware kettle.
I am coming up on the end of life of a great kettle Karin and I shopped about a month for.
Time for a new Revereware. Thanks everybody!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Because of this thread, I picked up a Russell Hobbs electric kettle at Macy's and I LOVE IT. It's quite handy having hot water at hand anytime. The Revere thing is banished.

Best bonus: When the water is hot, it doesn't screeeech at me and demand I GET UP NOW and attend to it. I can go see about it at the next commercial. (or as soon as I've finished typing)

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Tango Yankee said:
While stationed in the UK I found that just about every home I visited had an electric kettle. When I first came back stateside they were hard to find, but are plentiful now. A Google search will find them! :p

The differences between the US and the UK always suprise me. I've never even thought of using a non electric kettle.. they're just so easy.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
old thread.

new (old) kettle:

kettle.jpg

richie1958

New in Town
I've always been very serious about my tea drinking. I drink far more per day than can be healthy, and always have. Whether I'm at home or work, life is one long succession of brew-ups.
When I bought my first house, I moved in with a pair of motorcycle panniers full of clothes, a sleeping bag, a tin mug and an electric kettle! No furniture what so ever!
I could be mistaken, but I believe modern electric kettles boil much quicker than the old on hob type. I presently have a Bodum and although it boils quickly, it's cheap and nasty rubbish. Probably Morphy Richards for me next time. As for the whistle, if the kettle turns it's self off when boiled, what do you need a wailing banshee in the kitchen for?
Richie

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I've always been very serious about my tea drinking. I drink far more per day than can be healthy, and always have. Whether I'm at home or work, life is one long succession of brew-ups.
When I bought my first house, I moved in with a pair of motorcycle panniers full of clothes, a sleeping bag, a tin mug and an electric kettle! No furniture what so ever!
I could be mistaken, but I believe modern electric kettles boil much quicker than the old on hob type. I presently have a Bodum and although it boils quickly, it's cheap and nasty rubbish. Probably Morphy Richards for me next time. As for the whistle, if the kettle turns it's self off when boiled, what do you need a wailing banshee in the kitchen for?
Richie
Hey Richie I didn't know you knew my wife(haha)

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Here's my ceramic kettle (we call them jugs in Australia). Nilsen is an Australian company & made this model electric jug from the 30's to the early 80's. Mine is NOS (it was still in it's box) from the 70's (and the toaster was a 20's Hotpoint, also NOS in it's box).
8256062919_6d39ddb374.jpg

Edit. I just read the previous two posts on this thread & remembered why I don't post in the Obs Bar anymore. Wailing banshees. Charming.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff