Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good derby?

GoufCustom

New in Town
Greetings, hat masters!

I have only recently entered into the world of classic hats, and I wish to acquire a derby/bowler. I believe it would suit me quite well. But seeing as how I'm new, I'm not really too familiar with good manufacturers. I'm not looking to get a vintage, custom-made, or really high end one just yet, until I've acquired more hat wearing experience, and have a full appreciation for what I desire in look, and what I have.

As such, what would you recommend for a good mid-tier derby?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the lounge!

You have lots of options, and might be surprised that vintage could be one of the most cost-effective ones, if you like the style of the old school brim curl (called the D'Orsay curl). There's a lot of info around here, and many examples of these hats: new, custom, and vintage.

Clearwater Hats makes a nice fur felt derby with a more contemporary pencil roll for a rather affordable custom made hat. Also, although wool hats get a bad rap around here, I can vouch for the excellent quality of Knudsen Hats wool derbies, although mine doesn't get a ton of wear since I acquired fur felt ones. I mention it because the wool ones from Knudsen are both custom made and on the affordable side.

Beaver Brand makes some nice non-custom ones, but I think you'll probably pay almost as much or more than the ones mentioned above, though you wouldn't have to wait very long.

If you just want to try the style, Bailey makes a nicely blocked wool derby of modest proportions with a more modern brim curl. Don't expect it to last forever, and it attracts pet hair and other fuzz more easily than a fur felt, but it would at least give you an idea of whether you enjoy wearing derbies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner