Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Hat Like This: A Wide Brimmed Tweedy Hat

BobBill

New in Town
Must be very wide-brimmed, woolish...might be found where?

Was worn by Peter O'Toole in movie called "Rosebud."

Seems the perfect all around hat...sorry cannot seem to get jpeg to take...been here for 2 years, not allowed to post pics...

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Can only see it for a few seconds in the trailer but it looks like some kind of fly fishing or shooting hat............the brim isn't that wide, less than 2 & half inches I'd say & has air vents so I doubt it's tweed.....
Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'll keep an eye out & if I find a link for a similar hat in the next few days I'll post it.

Last edited:

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Apart from the air vents (and yes, it's a very short view to base anything on), it is similar to one I have and coincidentally have been wearing recently, since weather here got cooler.

Mine was purchased from Orvis years back, but brim was turned up in back and down in front. That never quite worked, so it didn't get worn much. I dug it out a couple of months back, steamed the brim, shaped in into a uniform "bucket" shape, and turned up the edge of the brim all around to stiffen it - like O'Toole's in the clip (which I never saw). Now I like it a lot. The brim is a bit more down-turned than O'Toole's however.

Label says "Orvis" in the top, on the side "Made in Irleand", possibly (guessing here) by Jonathan Richard? Grey wool tweed lined with quilted insulation, pretty heavy and nicely warm. I'd guess O'Toole's chapeau is lighter however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran