Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Highwayman in the highlands

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
When the jacket was brand new I deliberately wore it with an old white shirt to see if it would bleed and a tiny amount of colour rubbed off on the collar of the shirt, this washed out with no difficulty. Apart from this there has been no evidence of bleeding since.

I too noticed slight bleeding at only the collar with my brown "regular" FQHH Teamster that seems to have subsided after being worn a few times. However, the dye from the color transfer from the collar of the Teamster to the collar of my shirt washed out easily with no apparent residue left on my shirt collar. I have seen no bleeding whatsoever from my black vintage/tumbled FQHH Highwayman. I have noticed that the HH on my brown FQHH Teamster has a smoother, waxy texture, whereas the HH on my black vintage FQHH Highwayman remains somewhat stiff, dry, and less flexible than that of my Teamster.

triple-d

A-List Customer
Very nice smoz, beauty of a jacket, congrats!!!! Great background pics.......Hey smoz and Fanch....with that geography/history lesson, you two do look alot alike, could be some gene linkeage of some sort with the Tenn. thingy..........just sayin.....[huh]

Gromulus

Practically Family
Beautiful pictures and a great jacket!

Some of the best - and most beautiful - sea kayaking in the world is to be had in that area. Gordon Brown, one of THE best sea kayakers/instructors in the world, is based in Skye.

http://www.skyakadventures.com/

Kayaking in Skye with Gordon (and his wife Morag) is on my bucket list.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Very nice smoz, beauty of a jacket, congrats!!!! Great background pics.......Hey smoz and Fanch....with that geography/history lesson, you two do look alot alike, could be some gene linkeage of some sort with the Tenn. thingy..........just sayin.....[huh]

You are correct regarding similarities between the gene pool as many people of Scottish blood immigrated to Appalachia, my ancestors included. ;) :D

smoz

One of the Regulars
SMOZ - GREAT PICS - I have admired your jacket already when it was new... amazing Highwayman in an amazing environment.
AERO cordovan is really incredibly - do you have close ups from the hide?

BTW: I suppose the Restaurant in your last pic is not the (R)athouse :D

As requested here are a few quick and dirty close up pictures of the hide (and the Harris Tweed lining):

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Yes, the tweed lining looks great - how is it for warmth? I'm looking at it as a possibility for my next jacket, but I don't want to limit its wear potential by getting too warm of a lining.

smoz

One of the Regulars
Yes, the tweed lining looks great - how is it for warmth? I'm looking at it as a possibility for my next jacket, but I don't want to limit its wear potential by getting too warm of a lining.

I don't really have anything to compare it to as I haven't tried an Aero with Alpaca/Lochcarran tartan/shearling, my only other leather jacket is an Aero A2 with the standard mustard cotton lining.

I am also in London and would say that this Highwayman with a shirt and thin sweater (say a John Smedley) and a scarf is good enough for most of our winter months, though when it gets to the very coldest days I prefer a wool three quarter length overcoat.

Windward

Practically Family
As requested here are a few quick and dirty close up pictures of the hide (and the Harris Tweed lining):

WOW - that's exactly what I expected just fabulous!!
Thanks for sharing!
Ah.... BTW: I love quick and dirty - sometimes ;)

smoz

One of the Regulars
Bump.

If anyone is interested this jacket is likely to appear on Aero's used page sometime soon, it is a 42 inch chest. I was in Scotland last week and I made my way down to their factory in Galashiels. I ordered myself a Highwayman in seal brown Vicenza horsehide (button cuffs, Isle of Skye lining) and traded in my old one. It's a great jacket I just fancied something new and I operate a one in one out policy.

Last edited:

dubpynchon

One Too Many
This jacket and your thread is what got me started on this rather expensive jacket journey two years ago, and I ordered an Aero Highwayman in black FQHH because of it. I'd even consider buying your traded in Highwayman but I ordered a Bootlegger in cordovan yesterday, and I try not to have more than one type of jacket (it's the next stage from the one in one out policy, and even that's kind of flexible at times). I thank you, but if my bank balance could talk... ;)

smoz

One of the Regulars
I know exactly what you mean, in fact I didn't quite trade in the Highwayman for my new Highwayman. I actually traded it in against a Pike Bros N1 deck jacket that I bought from Aero which I collected on the day. I have agreed that I will be trading in my oil pull A-2 against the new Highwayman once it is closer to being ready, so that could well turn up on Aero's used page too.

smoz

One of the Regulars
Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my post but I am not selling this jacket, I traded it in when I ordered a new Highwayman from Aero. If you are interested I suggest you keep an eye on the sale/used page of their website.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Although I have never visited Scotland, I have been told that there are dramatic similarities between SE Tennessee, the area wher I grew up, and parts of Scotland. Not wanting to hijack this thread, I will show a couple of photos of my traveling jacket, a G&B Expedition (Indy), while I was visiting my old homestead late last September. First of all, a photo taken from where I went to school for six years on a bluff at the foot of Signal Mountain overlooking the Tennessee River with Lookout Mountain seen in the background.

Taken from Lovers'Leap near the summit of Lookout Mountain.

Taken from the summit of lookout Mountain with the city of Chattanooga in the background.

From this point one can see seven states.

Like much of Scotland was a battleground, this area was too during the US Civil War. This picture was taken on the side of Missionary Ridge, only a couple of miles from my old homestead.
FYI Can't see the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner