Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A letter from Deanna Durbin

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hello all!

Some of you might remember a while back I wrote about my grandmother who grew up with Deanna (Edna May) Durbin. They lost touch when she became famous. Recently I ran across her address, so dropped her a quick note to ask for a letter from my grandmother. Well, when I went through my mail yesterday there it was! And signed Edna rather than Deanna to boot! She typed it up, then signed her name, saying that she had happy memories that came back due to my letter. I didn't really expect the letter to even reach her, let alone get a response, so it was lovely. I have the letter to take to my grandmother and I'll let you all know how it goes. Thought I'd share how happy I am with those of you who appreciate the old stars. :)

Lauren

Oh, that would be neat! Last night I gave her the letter and she sat for a long while just holding it and every once in a while would say how much she appreciated it. She is thinking of writing back to her now, so I'll have to track down the address I found again. It would be wonderful if they could have a correspondence. They haven't really even spoken much since she got into the movies.

She told a funny story to me last night. When Deanna got famous her dad descided to be his manager. They were English as were my great grandparents, so they would all get together with the "English groups" and spend time together and play cards and music. I guess my Great Grandparents and Deanna's folks were very close and they'd come over for poker. Her dad had such a reputation for being "tight" that when he opened his walled during poker the other guys would swat at the air like moths were escaping lol

HistWardrobe

Vendor
WHAT a cool story!

BUMP!
Am posting to get this one back near the top of the section, so that nobody misses reading it. Lauren, you've got to be the only person on the Lounge that's actually corresponding with a 40's icon.

How very, very neat.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lauren

Aww! Thanks! Well, my grandma is certainly happy. It was a terrible time hunting down the address. I actually found it on someone's Geneology site about a letter someone wrote her about WWII, and I was crossing my fingers that it would get there, and it did! I remember getting an address last year from a fan club, but I misplaced it, and it would have been really embarrasing to show up again and say "Um.. hi! I'm not part of your club, but can I have that address again?" heehee.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Lauren Henline said:
Aww! Thanks! Well, my grandma is certainly happy. It was a terrible time hunting down the address. I actually found it on someone's Geneology site about a letter someone wrote her about WWII, and I was crossing my fingers that it would get there, and it did! I remember getting an address last year from a fan club, but I misplaced it, and it would have been really embarrasing to show up again and say "Um.. hi! I'm not part of your club, but can I have that address again?" heehee.

I can't begin to tell you how immensely swell I think it is that you've done this. Now two women are really happy and you did it out of the kindness of your heart. That's great. I sure do hope they do start a correspondence.

Jon

WOw! Lauren! What a terrific story! Deanna is one of my very favorite stars(she used to be my avitar on here) This has been such a treat to hear about since you first told us of your Granmothers relationship with Deanna. I told my Mom (another Deanna fan) the original story. Now I can't wait to give her the update! What a terrific thing you have done for two special ladies. Thanks so much for sharing!!!:eusa_clap

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
What a wonderful story! I've heard she isn't responding to much correspondence any more which makes it even nicer that she wrote back. I can't believe she's 85 now--time flies.

Wild Root

Gone Home
HistWardrobe said:
BUMP!
Lauren, you've got to be the only person on the Lounge that's actually corresponding with a 40's icon.

I'd debate that, I know a member who has received many letters and phone calls from golden era stars; they're all his friends... but, this story is very special indeed!

What a turn around of time! I think a reunion would be fantastic! It would have been over 60 years since they last met... they need to meet again!

I'm going to watch this thread, sounds almost like a movie!

How swell!

=WR=

Lauren

Heehee... well, I don't know about a reunion... they technically don't even have a corrospondence yet! My grandma is planning on writing her back, though. I'm so glad you all like the story! I think it's pretty neat, too.

I love hearing about my grandma's life in Los Angeles in the 20's and 30's. One of our relatives was even in a Shirley Temple movie, and my grandma once took her there. She said Shirley was so cute, and when they called "cut!" she would bounce off set to her mom, who would brush all her little curls around her fingers. She said she didn't know how a little girl could work for so long all day long!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Just couldn't resist bumping this up. Read a FF review of Deanna Durbin, remembered how strikingly
beautiful, precocious, and most heroic she was standing against studio condescension of her as a woman.

Saw Being The Ricardos the other night and Lucille Ball had to stand against similar studio bias.

The late Deanna Durbin proved much more than mere song or thespian talent.
Deanna Durbin sang from her heart and acted through courageous conviction most admirable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner