Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new chapter in my life

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
Good luck with the new position, getting paid for something you enjoy is the best. Do they offer an employee discount?

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Sold my first hat to a young man who traveled about an hour to come to our store to get a grown up hat to go off to college in. He picked out a Stetson Temple in black. I also sold and showed him how to use a hat brush. I feel so proud to have helped a yoot move on to hathood with a full brimed man's hat.

It was a great day and I can't wait to get back tomorrow. I for now until the fall work Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays so if your in the area stop on in a buy something.

Also thanks for the great comments.

Jeff Dyer
Hat salesman

randooch

I'll Lock Up
That's awesome, Jeff! You know it might come in handy to have a pocket full of Fedora Lounge "business" cards to pass out. Good way to fuel the fire. ;)
Sold my first hat to a young man who traveled about an hour to come to our store to get a grown up hat to go off to college in. He picked out a Stetson Temple in black. I also sold and showed him how to use a hat brush. I feel so proud to have helped a yoot move on to hathood with a full brimed man's hat.

It was a great day and I can't wait to get back tomorrow. I for now until the fall work Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays so if your in the area stop on in a buy something.

Also thanks for the great comments.

Jeff Dyer
Hat salesman

TomS

One Too Many
I Cant wait to meet you, Jeff! I stop in Del's from time to time. Its a great shop!!

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I have not written on this thread in a while. Since I am going on vacation next week to Florida I thought I would catch you all up with what it is like to work at a hat shop. It is great. LOL. No really I really love my job. Mr. DelMonico and all the others at the shop have been great as I have been working on my learning curve. I have spent a lot of time reorganizing the storage room. I can talk about most hats now by there stock number and style name. I thought that would take for ever, but if find myself saying things like "ya we just got more 152's in yesterday." I have found that I sell less stingy brims then I thought I would so that is good news. We sell about 80% on line which works out to more then we sold in the 50's. I love selling to hat geeks like us and educating new people to our way of life. There is nothing like opening up a case of 100% Beaver Fur hats and having to touch each hat and make sure it was well made. We check every hat when it enters the store and three people touch it again as it leaves the store. Do miss some things sure. We catch more then we miss though. Any way stop in a visit us. here is a picture of my computer station at work. I don't spend much time there but it's mine.
bc03c382c0902f40cee26e929a828b8b_zps7162a674.jpg

Jeff

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like a great job. I'll have to take a Northeast hat trip some day which will encompass Worth & Worth in New York, of course Besdor's shop, Delmonico's, Salmangudi in Boston, Custom Hatters in Buffalo, and Dave Brown's in Rochester. I'd go home wearing a barrel.

I'm really more interested nowadays in new off-the-shelf hats, and new custom-made hats, than in vintage hats. At Delmonico's, I've had my eye (without means to buy unfortunately) the beaver Borsalino medium-brim model, which Delmonico's has a few of every year, I am guessing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Have a great time in Florida. Hope the rains clears up for you. It's raining in Wellington today. Might want to bring your hats just in case. Wide brim panama.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Well as some of you know I left the work force in October of 1999 to be a stay at home dad. This week I worked 53 hours at DelMonico Hatter and had a great time. We are really jamming. Here are some pics of the hats we sent out today. This Mail truck was empty we it pulled up.
2012-12-15_15-31-18_465_zps726d2d33.jpg

Our Mailman Jim
2012-12-15_15-31-09_754_zps7788463c.jpg

Jeff

Well as some of you know I left the work force in October of 1999 to be a stay at home dad. This week I worked 53 hours at DelMonico Hatter and had a great time. We are really jamming. Here are some pics of the hats we sent out today. This Mail truck was empty we it pulled up.
2012-12-15_15-31-18_465_zps726d2d33.jpg

Our Mailman Jim
2012-12-15_15-31-09_754_zps7788463c.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jedwbpm
The post office will need some bigger boxes for that great looking high crown your sporting at work.
Glad to hear your busy and sending out lots of fedoras.
Best regards.
CCJ

stevew443

One of the Regulars
If I purchase a hat from DelMonico online based on this thread will you get a commission? Just trying to help out where I can :) Some people have all the luck when it comes to their working life. Now if I can just find a job that pays well for me to buy hats.

TomS

One Too Many
I've been in Del's a couple of times, and the place has that *old school* feel. The owner actually chats with the customers, and the sales staff is amazing. There is (was) a gent from St. Lucia who sold to me some years ago. When I walked in he glanced at me for just a split second and said, " 7 1/2 Long Oval... You'll need at least a 2 1/2" brim with your features". I was amazed, the guy barely looked at me and just nailed it! The place is "fun", and a must see for a hatophile visiting in New England.

Last edited:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Hi Steve we don't work on commission but please still order a hat from us. Tom, Marcus still works at the store. He is from the island of Nevis and is 88, runs circles orotund us. anyone who is in the area stop in and say hi we love to talk and try on hats.

Jeff

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
  • Well once again it has been quite a long time since I have posted to this thread. A lot as gone on since my last post. First since my last post I have gone back to college and will finish my BS the spring. I have to tell ya college has been the best 35 years of my life. Also come January I will be leaving DelMonico Hatters. This has been a great job and I am very grateful to Mr. DelMonico for giving me the chance work and learn from him. I have also enjoyed working with the members on the lounge that come into the shop and call or just email me about hats. So come January I will be setting up shop in Florida as the New Dress Hat Sales Representative for Stetson and Dobbs (Hatco) for the States of Florida, Georgia and Alabama. I have worn Hatco hats since High School and have been in sales of some sort most of my life. To be able to sell a product that I have used for so long is a real treat that I am looking forward to. So I am following Matt from the lounge to Hatco great times are coming.

• Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24