Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new guy with an Indy hat question....

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
Just pony up and save yourself the time and trouble. Honest. Am I right gentlemen? Have we not all gone down the same path???

I learned long ago that with certain things, paying a little more and getting the a better implement for the job saves hassles and money in the long run. They last longer and usually make the job easier. My neighbor's had four or five cheapie weed-eaters in ten years at about $40-50 each and I'm listening to the current one grind to a slow death right now. My 15 year old $99 model's still going strong, and frankly, it gets way more use since it's used for some volunteer park clean-up a couple times a year. It's similar to Zemke Fan's article in the first issue of Classic Style on buying 4 pair of Allan-Edmonds shoes with periodic refurbishing was way more economical than cheaper shoes that maybe last one season.

And I'm sure we all have that first hat we "saved money on" that still haunts the hat rack or closet that cost half as much as what we really wanted. Proudly worn for awhile until it started losing shape, fading, and a constant reminder that "I should've gotten that Akubra to start with..." But we're all anxious to get that first stylist lid on our heads and start making a statement to the rest of the world. We've all been there and done that...and we have the hat to prove it.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
Thanks- that's a link I hadn't seen before. Does it really only take 7-10 days to get a hat from HatsDirect? Alright- I'm off to order a Federation!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think my Camp draft got to me in 7 days...My Bushman from David Morgan took just as long...just the way the mail system works I guess...:D

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, y'all will be gratified to know that I just took your advice, and ordered me up a nice Federation- just the regular model, nothing fancy. If I'd known HatsDirect took PayPal I'd have done it long since- used my PayPal Buyer Credit, dontcha know! So I imagine it will be on its way Monday or thereabouts.

Difficult to admit it, but I am no spring chicken and I really do know all about "good money after bad." But I do get compulsive now and again. It's the reason I never buy anything at store clearances anymore- I used to be bad about that, until I realised that there was a REASON nobody had bought the stuff- odd colors, flaws, size not quite right....but I was always swayed by the low, low price. And I won't even mention cheap shoes...ay, yi, yi!

And yes, I am a horrible eBayaholic. I love getting a good deal, such as the like-new Akubra Snowy River I got a couple of weeks ago for $10.50. A total steal, a lovely hat. But deals like that don't come very often.

Actually, it's a relief to have ordered the Fed. The price was right, and as some of you have told me, I will definitely be happy with the hat, and I won't have to sing the "shoulda, woulda, coulda" song! Thanks again for all of the advice and commentary.

Good deals do occur and it's a sharp person that realizes when they are available. I have often bought poorly and paid later on as a youngster.
Now hopefully I have gotten beyond the impulse level.

Happy hunting!

YARVTON

New in Town
Fed IV Delivery & Price

One ordered on a Friday came on Thursday 2 weeks later. Just ordered another today since the price (delivered) is just about US$93. -- last one cost about US$105. Is there a better VALUE out there?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Good choice with the Federation. And its a very versatile hat. You can always rebash it if you get tired of the Indy look. It'll take almost any 1930s look you want.

deelovely

Practically Family
Just got mine today!!:D

PA250033.jpg

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Lovely indeed, and not a bad-looking hat either! :D That's the same color I got I believe. I'm having mine sent EMS and I'm interested to see how fast that is- I've sent stuff to Oz by USPS Express International and it takes about five working days to get from here to there- we'll see if the reverse is true.........

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
love the bash on that hat, deelovely!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

as for the original post:
if you need a hat by halloween, i would go with the miller open crown, 2 3/4 brim. if it is anything like the black miller i already own, it will be pretty good. i think it is made out of rabbit, but am not sure. and although it could be pounced a whole lot better (read: it is REALLY fuzzy) it will get you by until you can get a better one.
Charlie

Daoud

One of the Regulars
No, it wasn't for Halloween- just for an everyday hat. Good Lord, I'm glad I let myself get talked out of buying the Stetson- it ended up selling for $131.00, way more than I paid for the Fed. The Miller I think sold for $63.00 which would have been a good deal- but I'm glad I ordered the Federation. Nothing like a new hat, and it's been a long time since I've had one.

ken100

Familiar Face
Hats direct

Living here in Sydney, hats direct, which is the katoomba hatery is one of my favorite destinations for a country drive. The store is a delight to visit, lots and lots of hats to try on and the staff are just great, a coffee shop attached to ponder your purchase and you can stay as long as you like. When ever you are in Oz its a must visit.One of the things of intrest is the large photos of men in womans hats and women in mens hats on the walls of the coffee shop, think very hairy bearded bikies in very feminin floral hats and very feminin girls in felt fedoras, definatly hat lovers!
Ken

carter

I'll Lock Up
Daoud, You've made a wise decision based on some very good been there , done that advice. To top it off, you have a testimonial from an Aussie who has been to the source. Enjoy your Fed!

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Thank you- I'm sure I will, hopefully very soon. Although it has been very windy here- I might have to break out the stapler!

Ken, it must be a real joy to have such a nice hat shop in your hometown!
Actually, it would be a joy to have ANY hat shop in my town- I am stuck out here in the boonies so to speak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24