Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new Highwayman and the freezing rain debacle of '09

Nizdar

New in Town
As my Yankees and the LA Angels of Anaheim, California, United States, North America, Planet Earth etc. try to figure out how they can manage to play an outdoor warm weather sport in 40F windy rain, some of us were receiving a jacket intended for such purposes.

I received my modified highwayman on Wednesday from Mark Moye of Aero Leather USA. As some of you may remember from the delays thread, this order was placed in mid February, the thinking being that there would be enough time before winter to have it replaced if the fit wasn't right. Not so much. Thankfully, the fit is just what I asked for, as is everything else about it. Whatever strange forces caused the delay cost me only a few days of wear but saved me months of longing to wear it when it was 70F outside.

Hopefully the pics will successfully attach below the text (the flash brightens everything, keep in mind). My order was for a highwayman in black FQHH. I chose to remove the front pocket for a cleaner look (way too much agonizing over that). I also asked for the green and purple tartan known as "black watch," which I think goes particularly well with black. I chose nickel hardware, kept the storm cuffs ( hoping this would serve as my main NYC winter coat), and added a second vertical snap pocket inside.

After giving Mark my original order, I continued to be a bit concerned about fit. I have a 45-46 chest under 19-19 1/4 shoulders, but my navel tapers to around 39, with a smaller waist. While I am hardly thin, I do have a rare V shape for a guy my size. After inquiring with Mark about getting the highwayman cut more like a standard half-belt, he claimed that the cut was the same; only the straps and detailing is different. I then asked for a modification I haven't seen before: higher half-belt type straps on a highwayman, leaving all other detailing the same (both my girlfriend and I preferred the highwayman look).

While I was worried I had done something stupid with an expensive purchase, I was relieved that the fit turned out great. I think anyone vacillating between a highwayman and a half-belt because of fit should take my situation under consideration.

After inspecting the jacket, it appears flawless. Janet certainly did a terrific job. I imagine it will take a while to soften up; the comparison with a the nice looking cowhide "lynchburg" cop jacket I bought a ways back on advice from a poster is laughable (not to say the lynchburg isn't nice). The soft cowhide moves a lot like fabric and the highwayman.....well.....doesn't.

And they even threw in a matching scarf. Gotta love Aero.

Jacket1.jpg

Jacket2.jpg

Jacket3.jpg

Jacket4.jpg

Jacket5.jpg

Papa M

A-List Customer
Interesting style variation. Food for thought!

PS - The dawg on the couch looks interested in the jacket too. I hope he doesn't take too much of a fancy to that Horsehide!:eek:

andy richards

Practically Family
That is a great looking Highwayman! Congratulations. I think the lining looks great to the black leather. Good choice! Also the side-straps are a very well thought idea, which I like very much. After a long waiting period, now the time has come to wear and enjoy the jacket. I am sure a lot of people will give you compliments! Cheers, Andy.

univibe88

One Too Many
I think our jackets were caught in pergatory together. My order was also from February and I just recently received mine also. Yours looks fantastic. Enjoy it!

AeroLeatherUSA

New in Town
Hi Guys...

Thanks again to all of you who patiently waited and to those who are expecting your's soon.

Remember, DON'T TREAT THE LEATHER--just wear it! :p

Mark Moye
Aero Leather USA

buler

I'll Lock Up
AeroLeatherUSA said:
Thanks again to all of you who patiently waited and to those who are expecting your's soon.

Remember, DON'T TREAT THE LEATHER--just wear it! :p

Mark Moye
Aero Leather USA

Welcome aboard, Mark!!

B

rgraham

A-List Customer
To compare the Lynchburg with the Aero is laughable. You most likely paid 13 times what you paid for the Lynch.

goldendawn7

New in Town
Let me be the first to request pictures of you wearing it! I want to see how the side strap placement looks when worn, as I'm considering getting them put in the same place when I order mine.

Nizdar

New in Town
rgraham said:
To compare the Lynchburg with the Aero is laughable. You most likely paid 13 times what you paid for the Lynch.

12.5, actually. Though the Lynchburg supposedly once retailed for 250. Just an observation that struck me when I tried on a somewhat similar fitting jacket to see how different it felt.

goldendawn7 said:
Let me be the first to request pictures of you wearing it! I want to see how the side strap placement looks when worn, as I'm considering getting them put in the same place when I order mine.

Well, I'm not really inclined to post pictures of myself on the internet, but shall give it some thought.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Nizdar said:
Well, I'm not really inclined to post pictures of myself on the internet, but shall give it some thought.

I don't like doing this either, but if you have the person taking the pic cut off your head, you maintain some level of anonymity.

Truthfully, I'd like to see a pic of the jacket on a person as well - I'm tring to figure out the details of my Aero order (too many choices!) and seeing the fit of the Highwayman on a person makes it easier to understand. The high straps look like a great way to improve the fit.

I've noticed that in most of the pics I see of this jacket, people have the straps cinched up tight - is the fit too big in the body?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner