Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Newbie With A Few Questions

Mr. Saxophone

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with. I just recently aquired a few fedoras for my zoot suit at a hat shop but the brims on them make them look like sombreros. I would like to bend the brims down and I searched the forum for methods on how to shape the brim but I still don't understand how to go about doing it. I saw that I could use a tea kettle, and espressio machine, but what about a steam iron? Which one is the most effective? Also, this is going to sound really stupid but how do I apply the steam? Do I steam the whole hat or just the part I want to shape? How long do I steam it for? is there a measurement of time or just when the hat feels pliable? I would post pictures but unfortunately my digital camera is lost right now, sorry about that.

My next quesiton is that is there much difference between a really nice, and expensive hat, and a hat that one could get for $40? I understand the sense of joy and pride of owning a great hat but is there more to it then that like looks or feel? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that $200 fedoras are a waste of money because if I had money and access, I would own one too (being a musician in high school is tough:) ). The reason why I'm asking is that the only hat shop that is near me from what I've seen, only sells fedoras around the $32 - $40 price range so I am limited on what I can get. However, I still get the look that I want with my fedoras. So what I'm trying to say is that is it worth it for me to save up for a really nice fedora right now or would I not miss anything if I wait a bit longer when I could get a job?

My last question is about hat storage. I read somewhere on this forum that fedoras should not be stored on the brim but rather the crown. I'm just verifying that I read this right. I don't have a hat rack so I have to store my hats on the top shelf of my closet. Also what is everyones' take on hat boxes? Are they worth buying to store my hats in or do they take up too much room?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, I have a research paper I need to be doing right now but I'm on "break". I thank you in advance for any help you guys will offer because I'll probably not be able to reply for the rest of the day.

thanks again

Imagine having furniture that was solid hardwood versus some piece from Ikea that is pressboard and a veneer. A true fur felt hat should give a longer life and be a bit more resiliant to adverse conditions as well as take a good cleaning and reblocking.

I prefer to do the hatbox storage myself.

In many things I have gone the cheap route first only to find that I had wished I had spent for the better item, that the money for the cheapie would have been better spent on the good one. This is known as "Good Money After Bad."

If you are not going to spend $200-300 on a hat youcan get a pretty good one for $100 to 150, so instead of getting the $40 wait and save for the moderate ones. I still think a modern Stetson is pretty good others point to Biltmore or that Aussie brand.

On check the EBAY listings or antiques stores / malls. You may find one that just needa little TLC to bring back to life.

So first watch and read before you rush into anything, get a better idea of what you want, look at the store web sites and then you can list out your ideal hat and the options for alternates.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge

Before you put steam to the hats, it would be good to know if they are fur felt or wool felt. Check the tags in the hats. You don't want to steam wool! Also, are the brims flat or turned up all the way around? If they're up all around, they might be snap brims that can be pulled down by hand.

I only steam the area I want to shape, and I find direct steam at about 6 inches away for a few seconds at a time to work, but there are others here who might know better.

Given your situation, you might want to stick with the low-price hats you've got handy. When you have money and a job, though, consider this;
Most hats that sell under $75 new are wool felt, in my experience. Again, look at the tags. Wool might get you the look, but they won't last. Price on a fur felt only tells you so much. I'd say, stay under $130 for a fur felt. To spend more than that, you might as well save up for a custom hat from Art Fawcett or "Fedora" (Steve Delk), both members here.

OK, storage; if the hat comes with a box, use it. But don't spend money on boxes until you get into good hats. Always lay them with crown down if on a flat surface. Noggintops.com sells a small one-hat hat stand that can be used to store a hat right side up, if you feel the need.

Hope I've been helpful.

Tudor

Familiar Face
Hat storage

I just got back my Open Road from Art Fawcett. He did a wonderful transformation on it. It now has that Stratoliner look about it. It came back in a hat box with the front brim snapped up rather than down like most everyone wears them. This is my question. When I store my hat should I snap the brim up or leave it in the snap down position as I wear it? Art I would love for you to jump in here. I was going to PM you on this but this thread seamed like a good place to bring the question up for general knowledge.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Sax, Art Fawcett has just set up shop outside of Medford, just a couple hours drive south of you. You may want to drive down and see what he has and he can answer any questions in person.

fedoralover

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Tudor, the brim can be stored in either condition but I prefer to re-snap my brim when putting it on every time . Panama's I send with the brim down as they aren't as reliable as felt in how they will snap. Also, I don't use much stiffner in straws so I need to "train" the hat.

Mr. Saxophone

New in Town
thanks for the help everyone.

fedoralover: do you know the address of Art's shop?

Not-Bogart13: thank you for telling me not to steam it, they are a wool felt. they do curve up all the way around but I am reluctant to snap them down by hand because I don't know how delecate wool felt is. Is there a method to snapping brims down or just pull down and hope for the best?

Is eBay really reliable? i see a lot of successful purchases on this forum with eBay but how can you tell a good auction from a bad one?

It's good to have a young convert in the fold, Mr. Saxophone. I take it that you're an aspiring jazz man, what with the zoot suit and fedora and all. That gives me hope for the future.
Sad truth is, you aren't going to get a decent new fedora for 40 bucks. Indeed, you may be disappointed with a $100 one. But, you know, don't let that stop you. There's nothing wrong with getting a cheapie while you're getting a feel for what style works best for you and waiting for one (or several) good lids to come your way. Maybe it would be better to shop the secondhand stores. Bargains are still out there, but you gotta get lucky to find them. Just today I saw a nice Brooks Brothers house-brand stingy brim (think Thelonious Monk) at a junktique store. They wanted $32.50, and I was tempted to buy it, or at least offer them 20 and settle on 25. But I already have a collection of old stingy brims that are rarely worn. Still, somebody would be thrilled to have that hat, and I wouldn't mind passing it along to him. Maybe I'll go back later and see if it's still there. And it was only a few weeks back that I got a pretty nice old Stetson for 25 bucks. They had $37.50 on the tag, but it didn't take much convincing to get them to drop the price. So don't be afraid to bargain.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Brims and Ebay

Just snap them down, Mr. Sax. Should be fine.

Ebay is pretty good, but like anything be careful... and assume that the seller doesn't have his facts right. Watch a seller's rating (I usually avoid buying from anyone with less than a 95% positive rating). Ask the seller questions to make sure there are no holes or damage, and whatever else concerns you. A great idea would be to watch hats on Ebay a while without any intentions of bidding, but take notes on things to ask about here. Oh, and price the hats you like elsewhere on the web when you can. I see too many people overpay because they don't know their prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy