Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Photographic Detective Story - Name That Actress

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Lansbury

Fletch said:
Wasn't that set in Victorian England? This sure doesn't look it.

Could be. I haven't seen it in years. I don't think it's Gaslight or National Velvet. It could be shots from a screen test or for a film that never got produced or distrubted.

It looks like Lansbury's profile.

That's definitely Angela Lansbury. Good call from MikeFromSeattle about the 'Murder She Wrote' appearance. It all fits.

images

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Well...

Well if the consensus is that this is Angela Lansbury, you'll have to let me know what you'll do for me. :D

In deference to Dottie Parker, "one perfect limosine" would be just fine. LOL.

Please PM if we if it turns out to be Lansbury. When MikefromSeattle comes up with the name of the male actor, it might be nice to cross reference the Murder She Wrote episode with his name on the IMDB database. If he's there, it's very possible she brought him in for some work on an episode, and she's the 'mystery lady in the production still.' :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I don't quite follow you, but...

...I'm pretty sure Murder, She Wrote wasn't in production in the late '40s/early '50s.
...and earlier on we did establish that Dane Clark was the M,SW guy in question and very strongly resembled the actor in the still.

As for consensus, there was just as much of one that it was Martha Vickers earlier. More, if you buy that it's Clark and de Cordova in the still.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Where's my stole?

Ha ha, people actually more confused than I am. It is Dane clark. Possibly Martha Vickers from That way with women, altho I havent seen the film in a long time. Dane Clark was on some episodes of Murder she wrote in the 1970s. sorry for lack of punctuation i am on a short break at work. i have gaslight and dorian gray both memorized, they are not where this still was from. Definitely Dane Clark and he was in neither of those movies.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I think it is Dane Clark and Alexis Smith. Does anyone have a copy of "Whiplash" from 1948 to see if the set and clothes match any scenes?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
The Wolf said:
I think it is Dane Clark and Alexis Smith. Does anyone have a copy of "Whiplash" from 1948 to see if the set and clothes match any scenes?

Sincerely,
The Wolf
I'll look for the movie but I agree that actress looks a lot like Alexis Smith.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dane Clark was indeed the name of the actor I was thinking of and couldn't remember. And RE: Murder, She Wrote - I wasn't thinking the actress was Lansbury - just that was always big on casting actors & actressses that hadn't been seen in years on the show and that Dane Clark was in two episodes.

:)offtopic: I also liked that in one or more episodes, they used a scene or scenes from a 30's/40's movie as a flashback, using the same actors in the "modern" part of the episode).

IMDB only lists Lansbury & Clark working together in Murder, She Wrote - nothing from back in the 40's, so I think that knocks her out of the running. Clark & Alexis Smith appeared in Hollywood Canteen in 1944 and Whiplash in 1948 and I've seen neither so I don't know if the set matches anything from either movie. Ditto for The Way with Women. But Smith's nose & chin seem more rounded & fuller that the mystery woman.

As previously mentioned, Clark & Vickers worked together in The Way with Women in 1947 and "guy in chair with cigarette" could be Fred De Cordova. Here's a shot of Vickers from The Big Sleep and her nose & chin DO seem to have the same thinness and sharp angularity and the cheeks the same plumpness under the eyes of the picture in question.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I found this other still photo from That Way With Women on the internet and thought it might add some clue to mysterious photo.

waywithwomenstill.jpg

What do you think?

It's definitely Dane Clark

We've found the actor! Great job everyone!
Now is the actress Martha Vickers or Alexis Smith? They both have a pointly nose and chin so I can't really tell.
I think it is Whiplash. Alexis Smith's chin seems a lot more pointier than Martha Vickers.

Also I had seen a pirated copy of That Way With Women on DVD on ebay a while back but either the price was high or I didn't have the money for it. Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou