Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question about sizing and looks

Acidshort

New in Town
Hi, I am trying to figure something out. I believe my head is about 60.5 centimeters in circumference according to multiple measurements. I recently received my Borsalino Como and it said on the sticker for sizing that it was 7 1/2 7 5/8 62. I was under the impression that the US sizing for 7 5/8 was 61... so did my hat come in the wrong size? Also, i am not sure how the hat is supposed to sit. I can have it stay on my head just above my ears, but if i pull it down a little more it hits the top of my ears... does that indicate that it is too large? Finally, i am not sure if i am wearing the hat right.... it might be that i am not used to seeing it on my head but when i wear it it just doesn't look right.. i might have to post a picture to get the general public opinion.

Final question, the Borsalino i bought had a different label in the silk lining portion... it says something like Borsalino at the top of an oval and in the oval center it says Trionfo. That is differnet from other labels i ahve seen and i was wondering what that ment. Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help i can get.
Aaron

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
My hat size chart (http://www.hatlife.com/headsize.php) says that 62 cm. is an American 7 3/4, an English 7 5/8, and a French 7 1/2. You didn't mention what size you requested. Let's see some pix of you in the hat--that may help the experts on the forum give you better feedback. If you like the hat and decide it is close but still a little loose, you can always get some feltstrips from Duane at TheFedoraStore to tighten it up slightly. Good luck--I know you want a hat like that one to be just right.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Lookin' Hat!

:eusa_clap ... and it looks good on ya' too...:eusa_clap
All hats fit somewhat differently, I am right at 23" aka 7 3/8 aka 59 cm... but I have an old Stevens that is a 7 5/8 that fits great, an Akubra at 59 cm that is a trifle loose and a vintage borso that is a 7 1/4 that fits as though made for me.
There exist various techniques to get a more customized fit e.g.- "the lampshade trick" & the afore mentioned felt (and foam) sizing strips.

Many fellas here also use a couple of folded up 'fins' ($5 bills) beneath the sweatband, then you are never w/o cabfare!

The important thing is-you are now one of the hatted-

Acidshort

New in Town
Trionfo

What is the Trionfo label mean? I again am still confused by why it has that label... Also, i think the front shot looks kinda odd still.. though the 3/4 shot is ok... eh.. :)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You may wanna ...

Acidshort said:
What is the Trionfo label mean? I again am still confused by why it has that label... Also, i think the front shot looks kinda odd still.. though the 3/4 shot is ok... eh.. :)
... give the front brim a little more "snap" to improve the overall eh, je ne sais quoi , so to speak.
You will NEVER be through, hats are subject to endless "tweaking" & revisions... it is a process. BTW-trionfo just means "triumph" in Italian...

Acidshort

New in Town
What does it mean to add more "snap"? Also, how do i know if the circumfrance is too much for me? I am still wondering if the circumference is too great for me head... Also, does borsalino have different sub brands of their hats? Like, is Trionfo a certain brand of borsalino hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic