Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A quick visit to the Village Hat Shop - Long Beach, CA

A few weeks back I was talking to our own Matt Deckard and he commented that we needed to take a trip to some of the regional hat Shops in the Los Angeles area. So about week ago we jumped in my little pick up truck and took a spin down to the Village Hat Shop in Long Beach.

It's one of those things that when I wind up in this area with the shops and restaurants along Shoreline Drive I get a little turned around and it took us a little extra time to get to the right section. If you visit the shop its just down from "The Yard House" of draft beer fame so if you spot that restaurant go to that parking lot. I did realize that probably about 3 or 4 years ago I had been in the shop when I took my mom for a ride to the water one time.

First, the shop is quite spacious and fairly well lit plus it is organzined and clean. They have a glass case with a series of special display hats for historical and top top priced hats like a Stetson cowboy hat at 1200 samolians. Behind the counter on the wall seems to be all of their furfelt hats including some Akubras as it turns out.

We strolled around for a few minutes apraising the stock and they had a number of ladies hats, men's inexpensive wool hats, some novelty hats, and some straw hats. The counterman in a ballcap, did say that thru the summer and even into the winter when the weather is nice they tended to sell more straw hats to both women and men. Oddly the counterman was actually a bit short with me yet treated Matt like some sort of dignatary. For myself, I'd say I am not likely to buy from them in the future and was disappointed in the attitude of the help and unseemly lack of knowledge and courtesy I recieved.

Matt asked about an open crown hat displayed on the wall. As the counterman pointed at every hat around the hat in question which was the only open crown hat in that area, I attempted to clarify the term "open crown" for him and was rebuffed with "I don't need a lesson!" Then the counterman used the term stovepipe as the "proper" term for what we call apparently inerrantly call "open crown." (If I recall right, the style of hat that President Abraham Lincoln wore was a stovepipe hat and that bears no relationship to an open crown.) Well, I wasn't sold on their customer service by any means. and was rapidly loosing all interest in the store or anything they handled.

Mean while, the counterman was intrigued by Matt's interests in some of the furfelts on the wall. Perhaps with the hopes of a possible sale, he warmed up to Matt and managed to become quite engaging in his conversation about their "higher end" hats on display behind the counter. After a some what embarrasing revelation as to the open crown hat I went and sat in the warm Southern California sun watching boat owners fiddle with their boats at the docks behind the store. Round one counterman 1- John 0.

quintox

New in Town
lol
perhaps he did need a verbal lesson..........
He is a strange bird and i have been there several times. We conversed better when the subjects did not include the hats. Medication may be the problem. He is ok to talk to at times- not about the hats though.

MattJH

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Then the counterman used the term stovepipe as the "proper" term for what we call apparently errantly call "open crown."

This just reminded me of my phone call to the Stetson Outlet in Garland, TX earlier this week. I asked them to hunt around the store for either a Pinnacle or any other all-beaver fedora in my 7 5/8 size and call me back with the results. The man called me back and told me that, right in front of him, he had a Temple in brown and a Chatham in grey both in 7 5/8 and ready to be shipped to me. I very politely declined and ended the phone call.

I know that we're all sticklers for details and that there aren't many other people that know as much about hats as we do, but knowing which dress hats are made from beaver felt seems to be something a Stetson employee should know, outlet store or not.

HATCO

Vendor
We just got a new Manager in there. He's still learning the store and dress hats in particular as he comes form a western background. For those looking for beaver hats they may want to request any Cavanagh fur felts as those as far as I know are all pure beaver...

MattJH

One Too Many
HATCO said:
We just got a new Manager in there. He's still learning the store and dress hats in particular as he comes form a western background. For those looking for beaver hats they may want to request any Cavanagh fur felts as those as far as I know are all pure beaver...

In that case, send my compliments to David. When I called a second time, I spoke with him and he was fine. And thank you for the suggestion!

portolan

A-List Customer
Vilage Hats - Hillcrest - Fourth and Probably Last Time

I went back to Village Hats a fourth and probably last time. Very, very, very poor customer service. Every time I have been in there, everyone behind the counter is busy on the phone or computer. Very little knowledge of hats (less than me actually, which is pretty frightening) and absolutely no stock in a good fur felt in 7 1/2. Not even their own Jaxon fedora in 7 1/2. I really have tried now four times to buy a hat in that place. Bombed out every time.

Entirely different story in Wild Bill's in El Cajon, but they only have Westerns. Great people, knowledgeable (of westerns) and good stock.

The good news is that because I didn't buy anything at Village Hats, I ordered two Feds from Hats Direct. That was a delight!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Uh-oh...

Dumbjaw said:
This just reminded me of my phone call to the Stetson Outlet in Garland, TX earlier this week. I asked them to hunt around the store for either a Pinnacle or any other all-beaver fedora in my 7 5/8 size and call me back with the results. The man called me back and told me that, right in front of him, he had a Temple in brown and a Chatham in grey both in 7 5/8 and ready to be shipped to me. I very politely declined and ended the phone call.

Whoa... wait just a cotton-pickin' minute. You are telling me I can phone the outlet and they will send me a hat off the sales floor? Oh, this is not a good thing for me to know... so what're the prices like? What does shipping run? ... What's the phone number!!?? Do I have a Nostalgia in my future after all?

MattJH

One Too Many
They didn't have any Nostalgias.

3601 S. Leonard Rd
St. Joseph, MO 64503
(816)-233-3286

721 Marion Dr.
Garland, TX 75042
(972)-494-0337

They will ship to you. The Temple and Chatham were $59.95 each, and the Pinnacle was... I forget. $150?

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
I was at that same Long Beach Village Hat Shop (VHS) on Jan. 6 this year. Although it's a mass market store by FLounger standards, it's really about as good as a hat shop could be these days. My experience there was the polar opposite of Matt and John's, and it comes down to who's working the counter. That "I don't need a lesson" comment was inexcusable. I would have replied, "Apparently you do. Do you want the URLs to a few hat makers who invariably refer to uncreased hats as 'open crown'?"

The person who waited on me is a female and had been with Village Hats for over six years. It was obvious she was proud of that, that she loved hats, and loved helping people discover the joys of hats. She definitely knew her stock, even pointing out their Christy's Adventurer when I showed her my Fed IV Deluxe as their best open crown hat that could be bashed into an Indy style.

There are several fur felt hats that aren't behind the counter. To the left of the counter were racks of Bailey and Dobbs fur felt fedoras. Behind the counter were the Borsalinos, the Christy's, and Stetson Pinnacle and Sovereign hats, and the more expensive Optimo panamas. She was all too happy to let me try on the Borsalinos and Stetson Pinnacle and Temple. She also clarified that DP does *not* own Christy's, but is their distributor for the US. When I asked about Akubra she brought over the Snowy River and the Bushman. When I handed my Fed IV Deluxe to her she was very complimentary of the feel of its felt. She also knew which brands were owned by Hatco and which were independent (including Bailey).

I hope VHS takes a close look at this store because she is exactly what hat vendors need to be and I hope they find a way for that guy to learn from her.

VHS also provides a great service in their Jaxon line. Although I'd rather pay a few $ more for an Akubra fedora, they at least make it possible for a hat newbie to get into fur felt for little more than wool felt. Also, they have a selection of colors and sizes of sweatbanded, lined wool felt berets, something that's otherwise very hard to find in a store in the US. And they're $45 instead of $80.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
portolan said:
The good news is that because I didn't buy anything at Village Hats, I ordered two Feds from Hats Direct. That was a delight!
What did you order? When will they arrive? I have a tawny fawn I got in Nov. and a moonstone Deluxe just after Christmas. Love 'em both.

portolan

A-List Customer
I ordered a Tawny Fed III and a Moonstone Fed IV

They arrived within two days. I really like them a lot. My bashing was horrible so I haven't worn them out yet. I am however taking them with me to the Mid-South Gathering and am hoping some kind soul there will help me bash them properly. Great hats.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
portolan said:
They arrived within two days. I really like them a lot. My bashing was horrible so I haven't worn them out yet. I am however taking them with me to the Mid-South Gathering and am hoping some kind soul there will help me bash them properly. Great hats.
:eek:fftopic: I like your taste in hats. I have a tawny Fed IV std. and moonstone Fed IV deluxe. :D

I recommend you do a simple center crease and relaxed front pinch for now (dry bashed) and let your head and hat get to know each other. At some point you'll decide whether you want to keep it that way or change it to something else. Eventually you'll get out the spray bottle or steam kettle and shape it more specifically.

I eventually wound up with an elongated teardrop for the tawny and a simple fedora crease with dents for the moonstone. You'll probably want to wet the brim a bit at some point to get some contour into the sides.

JohnnyB53 said:
I My experience there was the polar opposite of Matt and John's, and it comes down to who's working the counter.

The person who waited on me is a female and had been with Village Hats for over six years. It was obvious she was proud of that, that she loved hats, and loved helping people discover the joys of hats. She definitely knew her stock, even pointing out their Christy's Adventurer when I showed her my Fed IV Deluxe as their best open crown hat that could be bashed into an Indy style.

That's precisely the thing: ENTHUSIASM! When you go to a store of any kind that the people that work there have no enthusiasm as to the products the are selling- it tells. Enthusiastic people tend to read the information, they talk with others and learn about the products so they can share their knowledge on what they are enthusiastic about. Drones on commission only care about sales, while the brighter ones may learn about the product to help their sales skills in answering questions or helping with suggestions. Other drones simply don't care and it's just a job where you try to see how mediocure you can be and still collect a paycheck.

Also, many today do not understand the concept of Giving Service and Helping. While some actually know when they aren't helped and expect it, they themselves are incapable of giving it to others.

I worked in the Paint dept. at Builders Square (like Home Depot) about a million years ago. Since I had helped paint many times at my parents home, I had some understanding of paints and some of the associated chemicals. Still there were many products I did not know much about and while stocking the shelves I read the back panels of boxes and containers to get familiar with them to be able to help with questions. People appreciated help, and if someone asked about how to use something and I did not know, I'd say "I am not familiar with this one but let's see what it says." I would then read the instructions from the package outloud to them and for me and we'd both learn about the product. Every time I did that I got thanked. Older people without their reading glasses often asked for me to read directions to them there. People often came in with tricks of the trade type info they'd share and I'd pass along to the next guy in that situation. Everyone appreciated the concern for what they were doing or what they wanted and the help when given. If someone said something contrary to what I knew I never shut them down, but would politely listen and then say well as I understand it goes like this and give the opposing view but not as the final word, sometimes you have to let people make up their own minds.

But to object to a person sharing information is inconceivable to me.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have spoken with several hatters recently from Gary White to Steve from Bencraft Brent Black, Bob Webber and Major Moore etc etc. each in there own right personify professionalism, integrity and courtesy.

That is what I am used to; I will not tolerate any less. There simply is no reason.[huh]

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
John in Covina said:
Oddly the counterman was actually a bit short with me yet treated Matt like some sort of dignatary. For myself, I'd say I am not likely to buy from them in the future and was disappointed in the attitude of the help and unseemly lack of knowledge and courtesy I recieved.

Matt asked about an open crown hat displayed on the wall. As the counterman pointed at every hat around the hat in question which was the only open crown hat in that area, I attempted to clarify the term "open crown" for him and was rebuffed with "I don't need a lesson!" Then the counterman used the term stovepipe as the "proper" term for what we call apparently inerrantly call "open crown." (If I recall right, the style of hat that President Abraham Lincoln wore was a stovepipe hat and that bears no relationship to an open crown.) Well, I wasn't sold on their customer service by any means. and was rapidly loosing all interest in the store or anything they handled.

Mean while, the counterman was intrigued by Matt's interests in some of the furfelts on the wall. Perhaps with the hopes of a possible sale, he warmed up to Matt and managed to become quite engaging in his conversation about their "higher end" hats on display behind the counter. After a some what embarrasing revelation as to the open crown hat I went and sat in the warm Southern California sun watching boat owners fiddle with their boats at the docks behind the store. Round one counterman 1- John 0.

I asked the man behind the counter enough to see that he really didn't know much about his product. When he handed me the hats he'd delicately flip the brims down in front which shows he has respect for the product, yet when I asked if he wore hats he said he like the ones with the smaller brims and that he has a wool one he doesn't wear. He was wearing a ballcap and refered to my hat as my cover so I gaged he was in the military at some point recently.

Now to the interesting part. As John said, I looked up at the hats behind the counterman and pointed directly at the open crown bound edge hat on the wall and asked him if I could see "the open crowned hat". He reached above it and grabbed a hat and I corrected him and said "no, the one right below that one". He went diagonal to the left going for a Stetson and I corrected again saying "the open crowned one just on the right of that one". He went diagonal to the right going right under the hat. John came in with direction as well... we were both perplexed as with a few more attempt the man just reached everywhere to literally avoid that hat we were pointing at and describing until he finally pulled it down saying we should have asked for the Australian hat. Hmmmm. After pulling one from the stack of three that were together on the one peg, he sat the hat in front of John where I promptly pointed out that it was the same model Akubra John was wearing (except that John's of course was shaped.

John explained to the man that the hat with the crown "open" like that was called an open crown and ready for any shape you wanted to put in the hat. Obviously by his tone, the shop keep wanted to hear none of this knowledge and was pretty gruff saying back "I don't need a lesson". We were both a bit peeved. He then went on to tell John that the hat was stove pipe, and I think you read this all and more above.

I stayed in the shop and noticed how the shop had on a ballcap (not one they sell in the shop of course), and... well I just don't think he's into hats.

I came to see hats so I put him through the paces having him show me all the fur felts I desired as I talked about fur and companies.

He was rude to John. It was that closed minded rudeness that comes at times from a person sitting behind a counter all day selling goods that he really doesn't think about. It is a shame that he himself doesn't wear a hat while selling hats. I don't really have a reason to head back to the shop, unless it's being run by another employee at the time.

Stove pipe? Really? Come one those that know the shop or work there with this guy... show him what he's got behind him!

DOH!

Matt Deckard said:
Now to the interesting part. As John said, I looked up at the hats behind the counterman and pointed directly at the open crown bound edge hat on the wall and asked him if I could see "the open crowned hat". He reached above it and grabbed a hat and I corrected him and said "no, the one right below that one". He went diagonal to the left going for a Stetson and I corrected again saying "the open crowned one just on the right of that one". He went diagonal to the right going right under the hat. John came in with direction as well... we were both perplexed as with a few more attempt the man just reached everywhere to literally avoid that hat we were pointing at and describing until he finally pulled it down saying we should have asked for the Australian hat. Hmmmm. After pulling one from the stack of three that were together on the one peg, he sat the hat in front of John where I promptly pointed out that it was the same model Akubra John was wearing (except that John's of course was shaped.)

John explained to the man that the hat with the crown "open" like that was called an open crown and ready for any shape you wanted to put in the hat. Obviously by his tone, the shopkeep wanted to hear none of this knowledge and was pretty gruff saying back "I don't need a lesson". We were both a bit peeved. He then went on to tell John that the hat was stove pipe, and I think you read this all and more above.

As this debacle started to occur I had been strolling around the store and was a ways away from the counter as Matt starts by asking for the open crown hat. As Matt is trying to direct the guy to grab the right one and the counterman is picking up every hat around it! I am so stunned that at a hat shop the counterman has no clue what open crown means that I am not looking at the Akubra Bushman on the display hook but just at the fact it's the only open crown hat in the section. :eek: OK I am there wearing my Akubra Bushman that I have bashed and a bit of a front pinch but haven't associated that fact with the open crown hat that Matt is asking about. I try to explain the phrase-ology open crown and get rebuffed and then felt more than foolish when Matt goes, "It's the same as what you're wearing!" while pointing at me. DOH! :eusa_doh:

Anyway afterwards we laughed pretty hard at the fact I did not realize it WAS the same hat as I was wearing, while sitting on the chairs out front next door. That was pretty funny. lol

All in all a strange visit, and as we've heard it all depends on who you get to serve you when you go. So if you are in the need, close by and want to check it out - go ahead. We'd love to hear that you've had a better experience than us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot